When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Stingray Jr Adding Gears Project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

A.D.D.

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I introduced myself as new to the CABE on the Schwinn forum......

my youngest son has a 1972 Stingray Jr that I picked up for $50 bucks a few years back.

The rest of the family has mountain bikes now and my son has trouble keeping up. He's pretty small, so 24" is pushing it. Plus, my other son ditched his Columbia Stingray knock off as soon as he got his mountain bike.

So, I am thinking about rebuilding the Stingray. I have some spare bits from a girls Stingray, a 3 speed Sturmey Archer and other spares.

Also, might have access to a Schwinn Collegiate and possibly a late 80's Endure (both 5 speeds).

I know I can swap out the fork for cantilever brakes, but no bosses on he back of the frame...

Has anyone here added gears to a Stingray, turned one into a freewheeling BMX or otherwise turned a Stingray into a Clunker?

Thanks in advance!

IMAG0992.jpg

Sounds like a lot of work, you will have to spread the frame to get 5 speed hub in there and a derailleur. Best solution is buy my nice Schwinn 20 Duro for $90 plus shipping.

Back