When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Huffy Cute Spook

-
I don't see the big deal unless someone tries to make it something its not. They're monsters, nothing more. See the boy's version named Cool Ghoul? Both bikes have monsters pictured. That's all they are. Sheesh!:rolleyes:

Since the door is open here's a take on it:

These bikes were made at a time when the word was used by some Americans to demean other Americans, much more broadly and openly than it is today.
The meaning and intent was and is still widely known.
Many Americans didn't have the privilege of seeing that bike as innocuous.
Given that, it's both surprising, and unfortunately not, that it made it onto that chain guard.
The 1970s were not far removed from accepted and legal discrimination in this country.
Perhaps one can empathize with the reactions people had, and perhaps still have, to seeing that bike.
Some dealt with discrimination and bigotry, coarse and subtle, pretty much all day every day; some dealt it out.
IMO understanding this and then choosing to dismiss or minimize the implication is callous.

So, We cant say a person,place or movie is spooky? Lol! One of the few times Im happy about my age. I’ll stand by my original post. I think its been proven out, lol....

Last edited:
Context is altered by usage (adverb vs. pronoun). I could see a jovial person, and call him or her gay, but I don't. It's likely to be misconstrued, even though the original meaning of gay would never be considered offensive.

EDIT: Not to imply being called gay (describing either mood or orientation) is necessarily offensive. But it's certainly that way to some, when misapplied. Probably a bad analogy on my part.

Last edited:
Context is altered by usage (adverb vs. pronoun). I could see a jovial person, and call him or her gay, but I don't. It's likely to be misconstrued, even though the original meaning of gay would never have been considered offensive.
Yep,My mom used to vacation with friends in Gaylord Mi @ a place named The Gay El Rancho. "Gay" obviously named after the city. She laughingly once asked me "Can you imagine a place by that name today?" I replied, "It would be OK if the patrons were gay,otherwise protests would happen daily" She said "Thats such a shame" Mom and most everybody from the Greatest Generation and 1St tier Baby Boomers werent poisoned by the PC BS

The COOL GOUL and CUTE SPOOK bikes are cool for their original intent or they wouldnt have made it on the market. Whiners need to get over themselves

Here’s my recent find that I’d like to share. It’s definitely a odd name for a bike, never the less a girls bike. Definitely don’t see these often... View attachment 1008133
View attachment 1008134View attachment 1008135
I have the girls Stars & Stripes.......
20181001_162637.jpg

Back