When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Huffy Scout

-

Ernbar

I live for the CABE
There is a 73 Huffy 10 speed Scout in very good shape here locally and can probably go for $50. I love Schwinns but this yellow Huffy looks very good. Is this a decent riding bike? My neighbor asked me so as far as I know, it would be an ok bike for him to ride out on the bike trail we have nearby. He doesn’t want to spend much.

Last edited:
with pictures you can get a better answer.

In general, it is a decent bike, when tuned up and with good rubber on it.

Most of the ones I have seen usually sell for about 40.00

This is one that sold for 40.

1566395206452.png

Good, solid vintage road bikes. Not really high tech. Value depends on where you live. Here, I could get about $100-$125 for one that’s super nice

There is a 73 Huffy 10 speed Scout in very good shape here locally and can probably go for $50. I love Schwinns but this yellow Huffy looks very good. Is this a decent riding bike? My neighbor asked me so as far as I know, it would be an ok bike for him to ride out on the bike trail we have nearby. He doesn’t want to spend much.

The Huffy you are looking at:

steel wheels--heavy and lousey stopping power in dry and absolutely terrible in wet
heavy and not easily modified astabula type bottom bracket
heavy steel handle bars
shorty fenders that provide absolutely no protection from mud or water spray.....only functiion is to add weight
carbon steel frame.....heavy
mostly bottom end componets

In many cases the lowest initial cost is not the best buy and you can find much more for the same or less $ if you are willing to do a bit of legwork. Shoguns and World Sports come to mind as they are inexpensive and very common in my area for less than $100.

World sport (got my last one for $10...needed tires, brake pads and greased. I added as personal mods to suit my physical problems different handlebars & sadle from parts bin, and trigger shifters from a junk bike for total investment of about $60......plus a set of plastic full coverage fenders for $10 at a bike meet & a $7 brake/gear cable set at wally world.

alloy wheels & bars
3 piece crank with alloy crank arms
Cro-moly frame. lighter & stroner than carbon steel and gives a more comfortable ride
mostly low end but quality components

As stated earlier, my whole point is that with a little bit if ingenuity and effort you can end up with a bike shop quality bike for the same or less money than a department store version. Nothing wrong with the cheaper version if you like that bike but I have more than 2400 miles on my world sport and my total maintenance has been to adjust shifter cable and fix flat tires. And the riding qualities are so much better.

just saying

Back