When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Kool Lemon, J-38 Schwinn, Sting-Ray.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Ok, good to know!
Thanks!
I can use all the help I can get.
Did they use that model pedal on the standard J-38, or only on the top of the line Krate models?

The funny thing about trying to get these bikes as accurate as possible, is that I remember my buddies and I going down to the Schwinn shop when we were kids, and buying replacement pedals for our bikes, because we didn’t like the government mandated reflector pedals. Lol!
I’m sure we gave fits to the collectors that found our bikes in the scrap heap.
We put moto bars and solo saddles on them so that we could pretend we were Malcolm Smith. Lol!
As if Stingrays are not expensive enough! Now we have Marty @cyclingday buying them up! Lol. Your Stingray is a beauty! Congrats!

No, unfortunately, the original tires were long gone, from the bike when I got it, so that large font Slik is one that I put on it.
Both the front and rear tires are US Rubber 1968 dated.
So not accurate for a 73 model bike, but they were in good shape, and looked better than the Chinese rubber that was on it when I got it.
I’m on the hunt for a nice set of 1973 issue tires, but am still trying to figure out exactly what I’m looking for.
This Sting-Ray forum, could use a good component and characteristics timeline sticky, so that the minutia is more easily deciphered.
But, I realize a lot of that stuff are trade secrets, and still being figured out.
Like the timeline for the large font rear Slik.

Last edited:
20170304_135048.jpg

Here's one I bought from the original owner also , a few years back ,I actually posted it here when I got it and was very happy with it, but then came a time when I needed some money and regrettably I sold it along with a few other stingrays and now find myself keeping a eye out for another yellow stingray...
Nice bike you have there, take care and enjoy...

Rafael ~

Here’s a trip down memory lane, from the 1973 catalog.

View attachment 1809374

View attachment 1809368

View attachment 1809367

View attachment 1809372

View attachment 1809373

View attachment 1809369

View attachment 1809370

View attachment 1809371I don’t know about you guys, but I’ve got to find a pair of those bad ass cycling shoes.
Oh, yeah!
Anybody got an n o s pair of those in a size 11?
Marty, If you find the size 11 shoes, we are done talking! Just a warning.

John

All those accessories on that Peeler and nobody knew about winding the lock around the seatpost….

Marketing, always been a bunch of incompetents no matter what decade. (Or business, not picking on Schwinn)

All those accessories on that Peeler and nobody knew about winding the lock around the seatpost….

Marketing, always been a bunch of incompetents no matter what decade. (Or business, not picking on Schwinn)
The photographer didn’t want hide the shiny chrome - I think I need one of those first aid kits ! Where do you handily carry that ? 😆

I almost agree with you, being a sales guy.

But keep in mind it was the same product managers that gave you the Krate's you so love fifty years after the fact. Some Mondays they hit a home run, and on other Mondays Cassey struck out in shame.

John

True!
No personal jab intended!

I guess I put product development, (Krate design and engineering), in a different category than media sales, (catalogs, advertising.)

Last edited:
Back