When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 raleigh record ace?

-
-----

With your very good research you know that the machine's gear ensemble and hubs launched same year as the cycle itself.

Learned recently that the Maillard 700 hub was produced for Maillard by Etablissements Perrin (Pelissier).

Here is a trade publication advert from the time of the launch -

1973 Maillard 700 hub advert, Perrin .jpg

---

Noticed that cycle's drive chain is a replacement. Cannot recall what the original was. May have been a Renold. Perhaps another owner can comment. Since the model did not get into manufacturer's catalogue is it not covered by a specifications crosstable.

---

Shall look forward to learning the identity of the spindle which exits the shell. OEM was a Verot Nr. 118.

-----

Coincidentally I was watching an auction for one of these on ebay last week- Incredibly clean, with no thought to bid, I came across it with almost a week
. The bidding closed after I hadn't been paying much attention- it was up into the three hundreds and I thought it might fetch five or more with a flurry- it hadn't cleared "reserve" on it. I was surprised when I finally went to see how it ended that it was relisted- irritating!

A nice piece, but a good club bike- not the top of the line or full campy- I think I would have sold it for $660 myself...

Got some kids to ransom?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Ralei...otos-available-/283408908297?oid=283396265294

-----

Thanks very much for sharing this listing.

These are not especially scarce. They come up on CL/ebay type venues from time to time.

The snag is that they have nearly always been reworked, rendering them challenging projects for the restorer.

This one is marvelous in that it is completely OEM, just as it would have been ex-works.

...and it is my size... :cool:

-----

Thank you Roger for the Pellisier/maillard 700 history. I notice if you look closely at the sticker on the hub you see the acronym “stc” which I believe stands for “selection tricolore course “ . I have also seen this in catalog for heuret jubilee and Simplex SLJ components so wonder if it was French trade association for component makers branding effort to elevate reputation in high end components. Speaking of such a trade association fascinating article on vitus 979 https://on-the-drops.blogspot.com/2016/12/the-peugeot-px-10du-vitus-979.html?m=1

I have read that some people at the time thought the high end French components performed as good or better than campagnolo. I don’t know but with so many on my bikes I will perpetuate this truth/myth!

I saw that ebay listing too. Wow! Needless to say I saved all the pictures as reference !

Previous owner/mechanic not my favorite person. Drive side dust cap 5mm mangled; can almost fit 7/32” Allen key; will soak with penetrant; tap with hardwood dowel; heat parameter then give it a shot: if not thinking I will try screw extractor as I don’t want to drill holes unless last resort.

While soaking room off that headset and you’re right Roger; this only 1 3/4 turns to remove lock nut. I hardly see how that is safe. Thoughts?

8E5EFDBC-56B4-4172-991F-C0E3BAAE442D.jpeg

D9CF8085-76BA-4ACC-A80E-6CD5A38C4E45.jpeg

F493A248-BBCB-40EF-84D4-55DE76F29C64.jpeg

------

as regards drive chain -

thank you for the foto. the ebay listing gives a closeup view of the machine's chainset. chain is seen to be something other than SEDIS. there appear to be markings on the plates but just not eno' "rez" to make them out... :confused:

looks to be the wrong colour for a Renold. the plate edges are chamfered but not really beveled as might be seen on a premium drive chain.

have no guesses as to maker.

34te91s.jpg

---

as regards Selection Tricolore Course/STC -

the frankish cycle industry had had two competing export groups for a number of years. they were known as FREXA and as GEFFAC. IIRC 1973 was the launch year for the STC concept.

Campag was in a position of great leverage with racing teams. because they "made everything" (or nearly so!) they could "sponsor" the pro teams but with the caveat that the team could not employ a single product which in any way competed with a Campag one. the French cycle industry was at a disadvantage in this regard as there was no one maker of fittings in their industry which was as comprehensive and dominant as Campag was in the Italian industry. hence the creation of STC in an effort to compete.

-----

as regards Maillard, Perrin & Verot they are interconnected going back decades. perhaps the single most pivotal individual was Achille Haubtmann. there has never been a "Stronglight Co." per se. the name was one for a product line. in its earliest incarnation one of its brand names was simply "Strong." the maker was known variously as Etablissements Verot (for Laurent Verot) and as Etablissements Verot-Perrin.

for any readers with an interest in the history it is gone into in good detail with excellent documentation in this discussion thread at the Belgian cycle forum veloretrocourse -

http://veloretrocourse.proboards.com/thread/1095/les-strongs

here is one small excerpt to give the flavour:

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\cocoartf949\cocoasubrtf540 {\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 Verdana;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red255\green255\blue255;\red14\green49\blue157;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl300 \f0\fs26 \cf0 \cb2 "Well, I am quite sure that Verot's forename has been Laurent and not Louis. By combing through old patent specifications I found some patents he had applied for. There his whole name is mentioned as Laurent V\'e9rot, Saint-\'c8tienne. I have attached the patent concerning the hollow bb spindle.\ \ Another reference can be found here in the indispensable collection of scanned and searchable issues of L'industrie du Cycle (http://www.bm-st-etienne.com/medias...cycle_2.xml&SYNCMENU=NOSPARTENAIRES&VIEW=HOME). There is an short article about the fact that on 18 of July 1962 Monsieur Laurent V\'e9rot has been buried. (page 27 of the whole PDF-file)\ \ And even Bernard Chaussinand names in his great new book Laurent V\'e9rot.\ \ As far as I can say by now the name of the company has changed from Ets. V\'e9rot around 1935 to V\'e9rot & Perrin, when Emile Perrin, V\'e9rot's son-in-law joined the company. Not until Haubtmann, also manufacturer of cranks and chain rings from Saint-Etienne has taken over it the company's name changed to Stronglight exactly like their brand established about 1931.\ \ As well as Achille Haubtmann has used his initials A.H. as a brand it seems that Laurent V\'e9rot did the same by stamping L.V. in cranks and chain rings made by his factory. Later the first l\ \ Read more: {\field{\*\fldinst{HYPERLINK "http://veloretrocourse.proboards.com/thread/1095/les-strongs#ixzz5i0xGcyWD"}}{\fldrslt \cf3 http://veloretrocourse.proboards.com/thread/1095/les-strongs#ixzz5i0xGcyWD}}}"Well, I am quite sure that Verot's forename has been Laurent and not Louis. By combing through old patent specifications I found some patents he had applied for. There his whole name is mentioned as Laurent Vérot, Saint-Ètienne. I have attached the patent concerning the hollow bb spindle.

Another reference can be found here in the indispensable collection of scanned and searchable issues of L'industrie du Cycle (http://www.bm-st-etienne.com/medias...cycle_2.xml&SYNCMENU=NOSPARTENAIRES&VIEW=HOME). There is an short article about the fact that on 18 of July 1962 Monsieur Laurent Vérot has been buried. (page 27 of the whole PDF-file)

And even Bernard Chaussinand names in his great new book Laurent Vérot.

As far as I can say by now the name of the company has changed from Ets. Vérot around 1935 to Vérot & Perrin, when Emile Perrin, Vérot's son-in-law joined the company. Not until Haubtmann, also manufacturer of cranks and chain rings from Saint-Etienne has taken over it the company's name changed to Stronglight exactly like their brand established about 1931.

As well as Achille Haubtmann has used his initials A.H. as a brand it seems that Laurent Vérot did the same by stamping L.V. in cranks and chain rings made by his factory. Later the first l

Read more: http://veloretrocourse.proboards.com/thread/1095/les-strongs#ixzz5i0xGcyWD

---

thanks very much for the fascinating link - great information. ;)

-----

-----

regarding damaged dust cap on drive side crank arm.

the steps you describe are unnecessarily involved.

all you need do is drill two small holes in the cap and turn it out with a pin tool, as made by Park, VAR, etc

they only need to be deep enough to get the pins in - no need to go all the way through the metal. if you make them out near the edge you can avoid the risk of damage to the head of the fixing bolt.

alternately you could expoxy something on the outside which could be grabbed and turned.

cap is toast in any event...

-----

Last edited:
-----

headset -

as mentioned in an earlier message, yours is the third RRA i have seen to be fitted with a Campag headset. i made measurements on the one i owned and determined there was not enough steerer length for full enagement of the locknut threads.

noticed that on the example posted by @harpon the Brampton Alatet is wearing two lockwashers. this makes me wonder if perhaps some RRA cycles received a slightly longer steerer. the fact that the factory found it necessary to fit two lockwashers means that on that bicycle there may be adequate steerer to accommodate a Campag set.

bi9mok.jpg

your situation -

there are a couple of "cheats"/"fudges" mechanics resort to in cases of this sort. one is to gain adequate locknut engagement by eschewing the lockwasher. this gives a "Raleigh type" headset arrangement where no lockwasher is present. the locknut and adjustable race are torqued against each other. it is a configuration difficult to adjust and difficult to retain an adjustment with. one "fudge" is to apply some Loctite type product to the threads where the locknut resides.

it is possible to "gain" a small bit of steerer by milling the ends of the head tube and the fork crown race seat. the space gained is small and may not make much difference. perhaps only a half of one thread or so.

---

for full thread engagement of the headset locknut with the presence of a lockwasher it would be necessary to go with a different assembly. the two options which come first to mind are an Alatet and the Verot P3. would depend upon what one is able to locate at affordable cost. the P3 has a stack height of 34.0mm and the Alatet one of 36.1mm. P3 has rectified bearing races, is period correct and fits in with the cycle's theme of mostly Gaulic fittings.

one measurement to consider in changing the headset is the size of the fork crown race seat. The i.d. of the Campag fork crown race is 26.3mm. Alatet is 26.9mm and P3 is 26.8mm. since we know bicycle came from the factory with an Alatet it would have been necessary for the fitter of the Campag to mill down the fork crown race seat from 27.0mm to 26.4mm. if you were to go back to an Alatet or to mount a P3 it would be necessary to shim the fork crown race seat.

you are fortunate that you have an Alatet on the Competition which you could employ for test fitting if so desired.

-----

Last edited:
Back