When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Schwinn Continental What color is this? Pink, coral?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Faded Sunset Orange. Polishing compound it
You know, maybe it is a variation of sunset orange with a poorly mixed batch. All I have is a bunch of photos to go off of as, I am researching the owner's group.

Here you see kickstand chamber and it's pink for sure with maybe a hint darker in some area at edges and inside fender bracket, but not dark enough to call orange. . And inside of the BB there's a hint of orange. Yet the orange is not as strong as I'd expect so, for the shadow it's a tough call B/C it leans to pink verses orange too. . Perhaps the batch mixed, as can see inside of the BB appears very light. I've seen other times where Schwinn may have switched a batch, part way, while bike was painted and have an obvious strong contrast of lighter and darker.

IDK, do you think, see inside the BB or anywhere outside that it's positively sunset orange?
00303_3e2DnAk8ezBz_0lM0CI_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:
After seeing that fully painted inside of the BB, I have no doubt that was repainted. I have never seen the inside covered solid with the finish coat of paint on an original Schwinn, never. Repaint for sure!

After seeing that fully painted inside of the BB, I have no doubt that was repainted. I have never seen the inside covered solid with the finish coat of paint on an original Schwinn, never. Repaint for sure!
Maybe so as I've thought it could be what I'm missing but been so long since I've pulled a crank IDK anymore. Yet, GT, ain't ever seen the time where you did not create a conflict with me, in most cases B/C U never saw in a catalog, where/when U ended up wrong.
Yet there's always room for a 1st. At least one could hope. 🤪

Perhaps somebody who's actually worked on plenty can confirm it B/C all it took me is one single search for a 73 Schwinn frame and what U no, first one google pops up with: a 73 Camel back original paint and inside BB is freaken yellow.

And that, is the Fact Jack. Go figure?

5bfdd53b-4030-43b3-a2ee-22381392e5b8-jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe so as I've thought it could be what I'm missing but been so long since I've pulled a crank IDK anymore. Yet, GT, ain't ever seen the time where you did not create a conflict with me, in most cases B/C U never saw in a catalog, where/when U ended up wrong.
Yet there's always room for a 1st. At least one could hope. 🤪

Perhaps somebody who's actually worked on plenty can confirm it B/C all it took me is one single search for a 73 Schwinn frame and what U no, first one google pops up with: a 73 Camel back original paint and inside BB is freaken yellow.

And that, is the Fact Jack. Go figure?

View attachment 1592859
And another one bites the dust:
s-l1600.jpg

And another one:

s-l1600.jpg

Facts! That's what this tread is all about, please.

Yep, but, nope for sure not orange. .
Oh, so you have already used polishing compound? Also, example pics would be helpful if bike was actually CLEAN and well lit. I have a chestnut conti that looks RED in some lighting conditions, BROWN in others. IMO, Fork stem is a better place to find orig paint vs bb.

Last edited:
Oh, so you have already used polishing compound? Also, example pics would be helpful if bike was actually CLEAN and well lit. I have a chestnut conti that looks RED in some lighting conditions, BROWN in others. IMO, Fork stem is a better place to find orig paint vs bb.
Solved

I decided to visit the owner, local to me. On C/L for $55 and being friggen pink, didn't want to give it away or chance it. I don't need or want a Schwinn Conti but wouldn't pass up an op for rare.

It is all original paint as I inserted above. Yes the whole BB is painted inside as included above too. There's an unusual op to see the whole interior of BB is painted through and through.

And as you entertain; that's exactly what I did yesterday, brought the tools to pull the fork and badge.

However, I did not need them as he had the bike and parts laying out in driveway where I saw when drove up; the original color is bright and strong, only a tad bit of fading yet top bar is chipped pretty ugly otherwise not too bad.

IDK how he did it as he was completely, honest, open and unaware too. I think a Computer tech or programmer biased on his 1990's nuke sub Manier history. I.E. I'd expect as, all his photos are well crafted excellent background to enhance the colors. {I guess a finish white-ish side, sheet of drywall} W/pretty quality photos and or tech skills.

All of his photos like below are pink to be sure. However, I did not take a photo of his bike yet, I get to eat crow B/C even from a distance when drove up through windshield, it's unquestionably good and strong Orange. Not even a hint of pink, Ha, ha, the joke's on me. 🙄

Certainly he did not intend to mislead yet, in current ad does not state the color at all. Maybe he'll fix that now 😀 but before or if he corrects it, these are his photos and all the rest of parts in 8 more clear photos are in his ad. So, I advised him of colors with more info about date and collectability: https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/bop/d/fort-myers-antique-schwinn-bike-frame/7455801220.html

It's not for me but It is actually original ORANGE w/lots of parts to put back together if U need; have at it if U local too.

00202_gG1fugaA9QGz_0lM0CI_1200x900.jpg

00m0m_209OIBml67gz_0CI0lM_1200x900.jpg

00C0C_2kL6b9Umiolz_0lM0CI_1200x900.jpg

Pink. pink, pink. PINK! It is not even remotely close.
Eurgh.
🤪

Last edited:
View attachment 1593603
This turdbucket was almost as faded till I practically rubbed my fingers raw polishing and waxing..

Yeah, @Quakertownrich I've been too busy to comment lately: However wanted to say; that's a good Comparison example
as it eludes to what others have to say regarding a Pink or coral B/C the orange faded so much. A well considered inclusion where another may find help to this topic later on.
However to reduce any possible confusion, as much as the topic bike appears in a similar state, I assure you that, it wasn't like either at all. As, once i saw it from a distance, the orange was strong enough to know instantly that, other than making a new friend, I'd waisted my time and energy from the very moment I'd seen his C/L add. . To site a comic that I have a likening too: Louis Black. [Pointing and half crazily swirling fingers]: WTF was he thinking?

Back