When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Schwinn Suburban -- Need Help -- Can't get it to shift

-

TJW

Finally riding a big boys bike
I have a 1973 10-speed Schwinn Suburban that I bought brand new.

Have not ridden it in many years but have decided to try to get it back into riding condition.

My problem is that I can not get the shifters to move. The cables seem to be frozen.

I am an 85 year old duffer of a mechanic so any suggestions/guidance would be appreciated.

You may have to replace the cables depending on condition, but if they look to be in good shape I would just soak them in some PB Blaster a little at a time.

Will I need to pull the cables or can I spray them in place?

Thanks--

Look around and see if there is a community bike shop in Houston. I'll bet there is. Cables and sheath is pretty cheap and they will show you how to do it.

Sounds like a good example of someone using WD-40 on the cables back in the day. 🤣 The actual cables are cheap and easy to replace if the housing is still good. But I can't say with any certainty that that's your problem. Could be the derailleurs? When was the last time the bike was actually used? Cables and parts on the derailleurs rusted?

It has been at least ten years since the gears were shifted. I will try to post some pictures later today.

Thanks--

RThe cables usually rust where they bend, moisture gets trapped there. You have original cables, don't give up on them unless you have to.
Like mentioned, soak in PB B'Laster or Kroil or whatever name you like best. I have used them all and made my own, they all seem the same to me and a guy who did a test on YouTube.
if they are open cables spray at every high point where the housings continue.
If you get them freed and still want new, buy inner cables from eBay and feed them thru your original outers. Either way, when functional spray cable lube in the housings.
Any bike is only original once, but inner cables are excuseable. Finding that color of outer (Schwinn Grey) is difficult and expensive normally.
Rob

To break cable loose, try loosen cable anchor bolt on both derailleurs and shift levers. Good luck!

Back