When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold 1973 Schwinn Super Sport - Sunset Orange

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Price
Zipcode

cudak888

Look Ma, No Hands!
This one popped up locally a while ago - it was looking a bit worse for wear and I took pity on it. Gave it a good cleaning, straightened the fork, polished up a few bits, and here it sits.

This is a 22" frame measured to the top of the seat tube extension (as Schwinn did it BITD). This isn't an electroforged boat anchor (e.g. Varsinental), but a fillet brazed 4130 frame. Still, in traditional Schwinn fashion, it has a one-piece Ashtabula crankset and built-in kickstand to ensure partial boat anchor status.

It is cleaned up, but unrestored - complete with Brooks B.15 saddle. Original Hunt-Wilde bar tape, drivetrain, wide-range Atom freewheel, et. cetera. The cable housing is original, but has some tears here and there on the original vinyl covering, but nothing that has affected the spiral-wound housing itself. Rear cable itself (not the housing) has been replaced. Calipers have original Weinmann X pattern salmon brake shoes on them, and they work like brand-new Kool-Stops.

Shifts as well as the Huret components can be expected to shift on an Atom freewheel, and stops a lot better than I want to give it credit for - though the Weinmann 27" aluminum rims definitely have something to do with that.

Here's the bad news: There are some notable paint nicks around the upper seatstay/seatpost area which will not polish out. Personally, if the Kool Orange reproduction paint out there wasn't so expensive, I would probably have wetsanded the entire area, primed it, resprayed it, and blended the respray into the original paint with wetsanding, but that's where I draw the line - I've got other projects to get wrapped up in
lol.gif

Have it listed locally for $275, but will gladly do $225 + actual shipping cost via BikeFlights or ShipBikes (whichever is cheaper) to any CABE member.

Located in Miami, Florida - a local pickup would be great.

EDIT: Many more photos w/left side and detail pictures can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/43240189@N03/albums/72177720297420494

20220227_130017-resized-026.jpg

20220227_125723-resized-006.jpg

20220227_125941-resized-021.jpg

20220227_125914-resized-017.jpg

20220227_125929-resized-019.jpg

20220227_125904-resized-015.jpg

20220227_125818-resized-010.jpg

20220227_125823-resized-011.jpg

20220227_125837-resized-013.jpg

Last edited:
These were "the" bikes when I was a kid and I want every one of them I see. I could only afford a used Varsity back then. Sadly, I cannot have them all. Good luck with the sale.

Last edited:
Reducing to $200 + actual BikeFlights shipping cost.

FYI, I discovered that the smallest cog on the original Schwinn Approved Model J (Shimano) freewheel is worn and skipping. I have another cog on the way. Crossing my fingers that there isn't enough chain stretch to prevent the donor from running smoothly. If it doesn't, I may fit a later Uniglide freewheel with a similar range to the bike for functionality, but will (of course) include the original Model J freewheel.

-Kurt

Back