When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Speedster

-
Hmmm.... it was a few years back. The main sentiment was what you have already experienced - if something breaks the shifter parts are not interchangeable with non-FF. It was sold as a system where you could shift gears without having to pedal. So, you could shift gears while coasting. Might also be easier to shift gears while braking, because you don't have to pedal. As Sven said, most people didn't see the need for the FF system, so it didn't last long, making parts more difficult to locate.

It's an interesting system, and should work fine once you get your new cable.

Ok I see, thanks for the explanation. It's really weird how the sprocket keeps turning while coasting. Funny how the part lasted 39 years until I went around the block several times and then it broke. Now if my luck changes and can pick the winning lotto numbers.;)

I’m really digging this Chestnut color. It’s like a reddish copper brownish color that rubbed out really rich and glossy using some light rubbing compound.

4846DC17-BB0F-4880-B1E6-36C9C1375C7B.jpeg

The chrome buffed out really nice using 0000 steel wool and and old rag and Flitz Metal Polish.

4A29289C-D89C-454D-A3C4-8EA5654DB459.jpeg

F88BE89A-BCA4-44FE-8476-06F75D9FCAE9.jpeg

3BA60EA4-044C-41D9-A9E3-106A9A17AE41.jpeg

Still lots more polishing to do. Can’t wait for the tires and the Positron shifter wire to arrive.

I’m really digging this Chestnut color. It’s like a reddish copper brownish color that rubbed out really rich and glossy using some light rubbing compound.

View attachment 1043282

The chrome buffed out really nice using 0000 steel wool and and old rag and Flitz Metal Polish.

View attachment 1043285
View attachment 1043286
View attachment 1043287

Still lots more polishing to do. Can’t wait for the tires and the Positron shifter wire to arrive.
Really nice looking Suburban Really love the color too. She's a Beauty!!! Razin. .

I just realized my Speedster post morphed into a Suburban subject. Any way thank God for eBay, the positron cable came in and I installed it this morning and man I love how this thing shifts! The replacement tail light came in too and was also installed. Now I'm waiting for the front lamp bulbs that I had to order on eBay cause no one here locally had them. I also got in some white wall tires to replace these old cracking tires.
I was looking at the replacement positron wire trying to figure out a way to replicate the small metal piece that holds the wire in the shifter and came back with nothing. There has to be a way to this but I'm still thinking about it. Would love to pimp up the ride with a vintage speedo but I can't justify spending more for that than what I paid for the bike.

Back