When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Speedster

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Ernbar

I live for the CABE
I finally took my Lemon Yellow Speedster on a long ride this morning and was
040B8EAA-0257-4408-9F7D-4C788AE4B7FF.jpeg
surprised how well Blondie handled. I’m used to my lighter 74 Le Tour but my 15 mile ride was very relaxing. I zeroed the Schwinn speedometer after buying it so it has up to date mileage.
062EEA8C-7D9B-4DEE-BAFA-22A14ACE405D.jpeg
CDF481B8-7359-46B5-A7AD-D88D83515B4A.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice Speedster, and I approve of the saddle you have on it - I have the exact one on my 58 Corvette and it's the best riding seat on any of my Schwinn bikes.

Thanks spitshine. Yep the seat is comfy all right. The 3 gears limit the pedal resistance and did most of the ride on the middle gear. I have my eye on a brown 10 speed Suburban in very good condition complete with tail and headlight dynamo setup. The guy lowered the price to $80 but I may get it for less.

All but one of my bikes is a 3 speed (7 total) and I seldom use 3rd gear on any of them. The 10 speed Suburban at $80. would be a great deal if in good condition. Be sure and post some pics if you get it.

All but one of my bikes is a 3 speed (7 total) and I seldom use 3rd gear on any of them. The 10 speed Suburban at $80. would be a great deal if in good condition. Be sure and post some pics if you get it.

The pictures in the ad don’t show any scratches or nicks, no rust that I can see. The saddle looks like a replacement and I think it’s a 1980 model. I’ll know better once I actually see it but it looks to be in like new condition except for the tires that need to be replaced. I think that even if it’s in great condition the replacement saddle and needing new tires would drive the asking price down some.

Suburbans take 27 X 1 1/4 tires, I can't say how easy they are to get or how expensive. Might want to check on that too.

There is a large selection of tires in 27"x1" thru 1 1/4". Cheap tires up to nice Vittorias, Continental, Panaracer, etc. Blackwall, whitewall, skinwall, colors, blah, blah, blah. Easy to find a tire to your liking for 27" wheels! ;)

Suburbans take 27 X 1 1/4 tires, I can't say how easy they are to get or how expensive. Might want to check on that too.

eBay has 2 tires and tubes sets for $35 including shipping. More concerned about not having the correct mattress style saddle.

Yes, those seats generally run around $20 and there were two different styles. One has springs running horizontally front to back under the seat pad. The "cheaper" version has a metal plate under the front with horizontal springs only under the back part of the seat.

Your LBS should have tires in stock that fit a Suburban. As Monkeyarms said, it's a common tire size.

By the way, nice Speedster. I'd like a yellow Schwinn, but that's a 70s only color, and I prefer earlier Schwinns.

Well saw the Suburban today and it looked good so it climbed up into my Tundra bed, final price was $50. The paint and chrome looks very good and needs some cleaning and polishing having lots of dust and grime from storage. The rear light is missing so that will eventually get replaced. The tires are dry rotted , originals and holding air but I will be putting on some white walls to pimp up the ride. The serial # puts it built June 1980. I rode it around my block when I got home and was pleasantly surprised at how smooth and solid it rides.
Here are some pictures how it looks now. I will post pictures later on once I clean and polish her. The original salmon color pads are in like new condition.
8D8D046A-F793-43CF-A00C-96F9B9CD8755.jpeg
4C67A76A-8A9E-46D2-8120-272402533C12.jpeg

52C16EF4-C3DF-4CF1-8F8C-AC98E140C956.jpeg

432FE284-8C19-46CB-B43D-DD8957392FBF.jpeg

Back