When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Collegiate Handbars

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

RattyMatt

Look Ma, No Hands!
20180717_194522.jpg

My collegiate is now wearing new handlebar tape. Old was pretty bad. My chainguard is not labeled Sport, but my bike has no fenders and has drop handlebars.

I read that dealers sometimes switched parts? Anybody know?

Yes dealers would change out parts to a certain degree, with parts they had in their inventory. I highly doubt a dealer changed out your guard though. The shop I hung out at as a kid had a pretty good inventory of parts so robbing Peter's bike to change Paul's bike was left up to the kids in the hood.
yesnod.gif

Maybe the guard is a replacement. The noticed the kickstand is sprayed silver. I think someone has done some tinkering.

any decent bike shop will deliver your new bike how you want it, and should swap bars, downtube-to-stem shifter where wanted, etc, gratis - the service you should expect from a good bike shop.
Catalog-perfect is a collector thing, and when you find one reflects a bike never ridden. Bikes actually used in the real world should be improved by their owners for lifestyle.

Nice bike RattyMatt,
I actually have a '75 Collegiate Sport that I converted into a cruiser. I changed the handlebars to upright, and I added chrome fenders. I then finally added a comfort seat, small bag & rear rack, and now use it as my swap meet rider. Good luck with your bike!
Wayne

IMG_2330.JPG

IMG_2331.JPG

IMG_2332.JPG

IMG_2336.JPG

IMG_2342.JPG

Can you tell me where you got those handlebars? I have a 1972 collegiate and want to put original (reproduction)upright touring handlebars and grips back on it.

Can you tell me where you got those handlebars? I have a 1972 collegiate and want to put original (reproduction)upright touring handlebars and grips back on it.

The Collegiate was made in two versions, the Sport with drop bars and the Tourist with upright bars. The pedals and seats were also different plus the fenders. If you have a Sport with drop bars you'll also need the Tourist brake levers and new brake cables when swapping out the bars. Post an ad in the Wanted section of the Classifieds here or check out the for sale ads. I"m sure @mongeese would have what you need.

The Collegiate was made in two versions, the Sport with drop bars and the Tourist with upright bars. The pedals and seats were also different plus the fenders. If you have a Sport with drop bars you'll also need the Tourist brake levers and new brake cables when swapping out the bars. Post an ad in the Wanted section of the Classifieds here or check out the for sale ads. I"m sure @mongeese would have what you need.
Mine is a Tourist that I converted to a sport style with drop bars when I was a kid in the late 70s. I have the brake levers and cables. I didn’t keep the original bars and I’m having a hard time finding some. Thanks for the reply!

Back