When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Opaque Red Super Sport

-

schwinnbikebobb

I live for the CABE
Picked this one up yesterday. Drove too far to get it but we did a day trip so was a nice day. This the one year color that was not in the catalog. Maybe Meta will post that letter/reporter that tells about them. Got to get rid of the black cables and bar tape and wheel reflectors. Have a B 15 for it. Wheels are both dated 5 74.

001.JPG

003.JPG

005.JPG

Excellent find! It is true that these were not in the catalog however quite a few were made. Many of the components will have date codes, I always compile them to see what code is the latest as that helps determine when during the year it might have been made (the serial number is useless for that on these bikes). Judging from the components I see I believe this one may be a later '74 production and the Weinmann rims will have hooked beads (I'd love to see the date code on the rims if that is the case). It also has the unique '74-only Compe brake levers with recess notches cut to increase the travel on the extension levers.

Here is the memo mentioning Al Fritz discussing them:

nz3a89.jpg

Note that although the memo stated they might build some early in the year, I found that they actually built them later in '74 as well.

Last edited:
Nice find! Need to get back to work on my Super Sport projects (64,66 and 70). Need to find a rim still for the 66.

Back