When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Schwinn-Approved Le Tour 10-Speed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

CavemanJoe

Look Ma, No Hands!
It's 48 years old now, so I guess it can be posted here. These LeTours were just a little bit heavy at 30 pounds, a little pricey at around $169, but they looked and rode better than anything most of us had ever seen! This one rides really nice with a new pair of slimmer 27" x 1 1/8" HP (90 psi) gumwall tires, 4 new brake pads, fresh grease, and a few adjustments. The Opaque Blue color with silver accents and white lettering looks stunning. All I have to do now is get a powder blue polyester leisure suit to wear when I ride it! SPECIAL NOTE: For touch-up paint to match Schwinn Opaque Blue from this time period try Rust-O-Leum Painter's Touch 2X Ultra Cover Paint + Primer in "Satin Oasis Blue" with a clear coat over it.

20220815_193916.jpg

20220815_194006.jpg

1974_schwinn_le_tour.jpg

Nice upgrade on the pedals. Excellent choice! It's amazing to see bikes that are almost 50 years old in such nice condition. Back in 1974 older bikes would just be rusted wrecks.

-----

recall finding it odd that the launch edition of the model was yet fitted with steel wheel rims and those ghastly Union 40U pedals...

a poor buy in the context of the contemporary market

---

if you are going to be getting a polyester leisure suit to ride it in remember to leave the zipper open down to the waist so you can show off all your chest hair & gold neck chains

you should also have a razor cut hairstyle and be smoking a menthol...

the ladies will love it! 🤣

-----

-----

recall finding it odd that the launch edition of the model was yet fitted with steel wheel rims and those ghastly Union 40U pedals...

a poor buy in the context of the contemporary market

---

if you are going to be getting a polyester leisure suit to ride it in remember to leave the zipper open down to the waist so you can show off all your chest hair & gold neck chains

you should also have a razor cut hairstyle and be smoking a menthol...

the ladies will love it! 🤣

-----
These were a big step up back then from balloon tire coaster brake bikes, 3-speeds, and the Varsity. Those Union pedals, though, are truly "humble".
One definitely did need to wear a leisure suit open down to the waist to show off the qiana shirt with all the beautiful artwork printed on it, as well as the gold chains and chest hair. They really went well with white plastic platform shoes with a matching belt. Chics did dig it back in '74.

Last edited:
-----

had forgot to include the platform shoes; fine job on your part in remembering them

also the rider would be advised to take a dip in Acqua Velva prior to setting out on a ride

remember: if you can't grow your mutton chop sideburns in time there are always stick-ons

sounds like you have it all covered! 🤣

-----

-----

had forgot to include the platform shoes; fine job on your part in remembering them

also the rider would be advised to take a dip in Acqua Velva prior to setting out on a ride

remember: if you can't grow your mutton chop sideburns in time there are always stick-ons

sounds like you have it all covered! 🤣

-----
Oops! Forgot the moustache! Hai Karate vs Acqua Velva?

I think the brother in law in Christmas Vacation had a leisure suit on at one point in the movie. The bikes look good gentlemen. I have a couple of Le Tours and Super Le Tours, all nice riding and looking. Not a lot of people collecting 10 speeds yet here in the mid Atlantic and that’s ok with me. If kept indoors they held up nicely and they are easily brought back to life. Tim

C2AAAB38-9CD6-4072-9546-9ADFF6608FC8.jpeg

Back