When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Schwinn Continental

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
So like I said earlier I was able to head over to the "open shop" Thursday night. They were very helpful in showing me how to do the shifting & brake cables. The volunteer helping me was able to show me a few tips & tricks I didn't know about.

While working on the bike's cables I noticed a lot of racks up on top of a huge shelf. I asked if it was possible for me to install one when I was done with the cabling. Long story short yes it was and it only set me back $5. I believe it's a rack that came on the Varsity? It has a spring loaded clamping mechanism on it.

Here are the photos:
20190208_161531.jpg

20190208_161600.jpg

20190208_161605.jpg

20190208_161616.jpg

20190208_161621.jpg

20190208_161630.jpg

Here is the total package as it was purchased to be:

20190208_194440.jpg

20190208_194513.jpg

The trailer's axle was too long so I had to put the connector on the Schwinn's axle:

20190208_194456.jpg

It's currently snowing where I live so I haven't been able to get out and start to acclimate my daughter to the trailer being behind the bike. I'm hoping to do it as soon as the weather breaks.

With the days now longer I'm able to go for rides after the gym & dinner now! Daughter had a lot of fun while going around the neighborhood. Calling out the car colors was the highlight of her ride.
20190311_182657.jpg

I'm thinking about buying a new seat as this one provides little to no padding. Boy this thing is not suited for hills!!

The seat I'm considering is a WTB Speed Comp (of course I'll keep the original in my box of parts:(
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MA0OPD...olid=3TL8HZOTTGI11&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

------

Very good work! :smile:

Looks most fine.

Thank you for sharing your project. ;)

Agree that is a great colour; one not encountered all that often.

The rear rack you got is a Pletscher produced by ESGE - Pletscher of Germany.

The water bottle holder which came with the bike is a Schwinn Approved accessory produced by AFA of France.

Have lots of good fun with this.

Manufacturer's catalogue illustration for the Continental of 1974 -

1974_schwinn_continental.jpg

---

PS -

You might wish to consider posting the bicycle to the Schwinn Lightweights forum as well. Tremendous amount of Schwinn knowledge and experience there on the part of readers. They could assist with advice and answering any questions you might have as you move forward.

https://thecabe.com/forum/index/lightweight-schwinn-bicycles.56/
-----

Last edited:
Back