When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1977 Schwinn Volare

-

kostnerave

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hi Everybody,
I'm searching for some information about my latest acquisition, a 1977 Schwinn Volare. The bike seems to be original except for tires,tubes and brake lever hoods(cane creek). I beleive these were made by Panasonic for Schwinn, using 531 Reynolds tubing. All of the components appear to be Shimano Dura-Ace throughout except for Sakae Custom bars, Sakae stem and a Sakae Royal seatpost. The pedals are KKT. Now some questions: Was this model a limited production run? If so, will the serial number stamped on the bottom of the bottom bracket shell give me a frame number? Is the bike fairly rare? Are there differences between the '77 and '78 models beside the use of a Crane rear derailleur on my bike instead of a Dura-Ace unit? Thank you for any help, as there just isn't alot of information available.

volare 006.JPG

volare 027.JPG

volare 013.JPG

volare 015.JPG

volare 019.JPG

volare 011.JPG

volare 025.JPG

Beautiful bike! I have read that Schwinn told Panasonic to build a bike equal to the Paramount and the Volare is what they built. I have 2 of them that I bought about 5 years ago and I continue to look for them on eBay, CL and at the 4-5 bike shows that I attend each year. I haven’t ever seen them at the bike shows and rarely see them on eBay anymore. Considering that they were only made for two years IMHO I would call them rare. The blue bike is a Paramount and the other two are Volaries. Tim

7D5C8FD6-CA1D-455D-A74C-E8986A9F94AE.jpeg

EB71154C-A356-4BD3-B27A-96F949FF2FEF.jpeg

CFF080B2-D5AF-4B9E-B9B0-0C9C940324CD.jpeg

Back