When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1977 Spitfire Color Match

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Cjperry81

On Training Wheels
Hi Guys
I’m new to the forum. Recently picked up a 77 spitfire. The bike is red but once I took it apart it was clear that it was originally blue. Checked online and from what I can tell spitfires came in sky blue. This is definitely a bright blue though. Has anyone come up with a rattle can match that is close to the metallic blue they used in 77? I’d love to take it back to he original color. I’ve looked at a lot of paint samples online but via internet pics it’s really hard to compare. Any help would be much appreciated

Hi Guys
I’m new to the forum. Recently picked up a 77 spitfire. The bike is red but once I took it apart it was clear that it was originally blue. Checked online and from what I can tell spitfires came in sky blue. This is definitely a bright blue though. Has anyone come up with a rattle can match that is close to the metallic blue they used in 77? I’d love to take it back to he original color. I’ve looked at a lot of paint samples online but via internet pics it’s really hard to compare. Any help would be much appreciated

How are you coming with this project? I just picked up a late 70's Spitfire that is blue, and I am also trying to find the correct paint color. I've checking this one out, but I'm still not certain that it matches: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schwinn-Bi...BLUE-Sting-ray-Fastback-Stingray/192245121235

Does this look close enough?

Pull the fork and check out the paint on the steer tube.

Blue Paint Match 001.JPG

Blue Paint Match 002.JPG

Blue Paint Match 003.JPG

Yes, that definitely looks like the color. Were you able to track down some matching paint to use?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Dupli-Color's Blue Metalcast candy over a Flat Aluminum base.
Did you clear coat over this? How has the durability of this paint? I know it is intended for high temps and get baked on on those parts. I just wondered how this paint stands up on a bike frame.

Did you clear coat over this? How has the durability of this paint? I know it is intended for high temps and get baked on on those parts. I just wondered how this paint stands up on a bike frame.
The paint is a clear tinted enamel and flows good with time to spot without flashing and it has a factory looking shine, so I see no need to clear coat it. The adhesion is very good if you apply it correctly. One big mistake that many people make is loading up the paint with multiple layers/coats and that makes the paint prone for excessive chipping. Schwinn had an issue with their candy paint not adhering to the aluminum base coat at certain times and even their paint chipped off the silver base fairly easy. I had a 1964 Famboyant Lime when I was a kid and that paint chipped off the base coat just looking at it. 🤪 One issue with the candy paint is the more coats you do, the darker it gets. It takes some practice shooting bike tubing and having the color all the same shade, especially with a spray can.

Back