When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1978 Raleigh Super Grand Prix

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

wrongway

I live for the CABE
Looks like I can't stay away from Raleigh bikes. I had to bring this one home. It was less than $100 so I didn't think that was too bad. It doesn't appear to need too much. Does it look like it's all original? The wheels may not quite match. The brochures all show the bike as having 'Bar Shifters' and this one does not. Was it changed or did some leave the factory that way? It's a 23-1/2" frame and feels quite comfortable. It has a high amount of patina, but that's ok. It doesn't have the Huret Allvit derailleur like my BSA so that might be good.

I would say both the bar-end shifters and RD were probably swapped out.
Capture.JPG

The SunTour DT shifters on your bike don't match the ratcheted shifters Raleigh used with Raleigh-branded SunTour VGT derailleurs.
These were on my '77 GP
Capture.JPG

Also found the shifter that's on your bike
Capture.JPG

without question, this would be the RD - Raleigh-branded VGT
aP5100010.jpg

aP3240003.jpg

though it's noteworthy, the VX-GT is the same derailleur that was made for Raleigh with the Raleigh TM.
Capture.JPG

Any good bike shop would swap components to deliver a bike - I'm guessing the owner wanted his new bike exactly the way you found it.

I'd be curious to see details of the crankset

Last edited:
Well, darn, it's not completely stock. You'll have that. Well, it's close and it'll ride. I can look for stock components someday......unless these are better? The wheels are also mis-matched. I assume the front one is stock? Here is the front derailleur........

-----

pedals are not OEM either; they came through with steel pedals of british manufacture

not shown well enough in images provided to identify

cycle assembled in the Edina Oklahoma facility

-----

-----

pedals are not OEM either; they came through with steel pedals of british manufacture

not shown well enough in images provided to identify

cycle assembled in the Edina Oklahoma facility

-----
The serial number looks like it would indicate 'Worksop'. Maybe I'm wrong? Is anything on this bike stock? lol Here is a pedal.......

-----

wrt Worksop -

please note that I wrote asembled at Edina

of course bicycle manufactured at Worksop

Edina did not perform manufacture, just assembly

-----

Is this the one? It's on eBay right now.
View attachment 1310031
bingo.
Note how all the components are Raleigh-branded.
That crank has splined arms pressed on the chainwheel, and mine stripped out on Austin hills in '78.
Upgraded it with a Sugino Mighty Comp.

and yes, that's a Worksop frame - Nottingham frame would begin with N
araleigh026.jpg

pedals, I upgraded to KKT

Last edited:
And I just noticed that the brake levers aren't stock, either.... lol I suppose the guy upgraded with some better parts? Is that possible? I've always liked to keep things stock so it will bother me a bit. That's just my OCD. I think if I don't put too much into it I'll be alright and it'll be a comfortable rider.

Back