When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1978 Schwinn Le Tour Mixte...Pearl Orange

-

HARPO

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
To start off, 30lbs. is not "Light Weight", lol. But when I saw this bike on Craigslist, I knew I wanted it.

The woman I purchased it from last night was the second owner, buying the bike from a bike shop here on Long Island. Apparently the shop put on new tires for her (all the nubs are still on it), and possibly the newer black Schwinn rear rack. She said she only rode it a few times, and figured she'd wouldn't do much riding any more having twins recently.

Do I need a mixte? No. But many years ago I had a mens Le Tour in this beautiful color and wanted another Schwinn in this color. Frame size is 22'' (taller of the two offered), but still a bit short for my 6' frame to do any long rides even after I adjust the seat height. But the condition you see is as I picked it up. One of, if not the cleanest bikes, I've ever bought. This will be a joke detailing it. Everything spins freely so the shop did work on it. And all I can find is one chip out of the paint!

Panasonic made the frame, so it feels nice...at least for a short ride in freezing weather here on Long Island this morning. Brakes on a dime and shifts very smoothly. I can't wait to get this shined up!!!

Oh, BTW...where can you find one in this pristine condition...with a Schwinn rack...for a measly $50? Score!!

IMG_4618.jpg

IMG_4619.jpg

IMG_4620.jpg

IMG_4627.jpg

IMG_4629.jpg

IMG_4630.jpg

IMG_4642.jpg

IMG_4643.jpg

IMG_4645.jpg

I found out that this model listed for quite a bit back in 1978...$180. Considering that was 40 years ago, a bit of a chunk of change for this type of bike.

Beautiful bike! Think that was pearlescent orange? I keep a Mixte set back for when I am older and struggle to straddle a men’s frame. Nice score Harpo.

Pearlescent Orange, yes. But the catalog page just shows Pearl Orange. Maybe the earlier years they used it?

1978 Schwinn LeTour. $180jpg.jpg

I've always been a huge fan of the 70's Scwhinn orange. I believed the Scwhinn Volare was also done in the same orange.

Back