When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1979 Raleigh Tourist Men's 3 Speed Roadster - Clean and Ready - HTF 22" frame!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Zipcode

bikemonkey

I live for the CABE
For sale is a 1979 Raleigh Tourist 3 speed men's bicycle that is clean, tuned, and ready to roll. The DL-1 Tourist model was the "Cadillac" of three speeds in Raleigh's catalog and was the most expensive as well. This English Nottingham roadster rides like a dreamboat - it steers perfectly and is truly a joy to own and ride.

Raleigh produced two frame sizes in the Tourist model, and this is the more reasonably sized 22" frame. It is much harder to find than the taller and more commonly found 24" frame version. The stand over height is 32". I am 6 feet tall and the bike fits me fine with the seat post adjusted as shown.

Condition report:

The frame and fork tubing has no dents or apparent crash damage and was found in proper alignment. The brazed on pump pegs are intact.

The black paint was cleaned, deoxidized, and then waxed. The paint on the fenders and chainguard was cleaned underneath and lightly oiled. There are some dents in the chainguard and fenders. There is some wear and damage to the decals, especially the chainguard, and pinstripe wear in places as shown. The 2030 frame tubing decal was smeared in bike stands a long time ago (as typically found).

All of the chrome parts were cleaned using citric acid and brass hand brushes. Rust remains in a few nooks and crannies, especially in the center of the saddle springs.

I did not overhaul any bearings as I saw no pressing need - everything turns smoothly with no roughness or grinding noises. All bearing races were adjusted properly.

The Heron chainring has some speckling on the chrome after cleaning but it still shines nicely - please see the photos. The crank cotters are original and tight.

There is some chrome loss and blistering in a few places on the rims. The oxidation on the spokes was removed and then all were lightly oiled. All of the spokes are original and the rims run true but they are Raleigh steel rims so do not expect perfection. None of the spokes I tightened were seized but I did not go looking for trouble and just trued them without going deep. All of the nipple flats are nice and clean.

The Sturmey-Archer AW hub is in good condition and the bike shifts smoothly through all gears with no slippage. The hub is date coded 78 -12 (Dec 1978) so I am basing the year of bicycle's production as 1979 on that factor. The front hub is oriented correctly with the fixed cone on the right (crank side).

The shifter looks and functions like new and the original cable has no fraying or kinks. The cable pulley and all cable clamps are in very good condition.

The saddle was just treated with Brooks Proofide top and bottom and it has old cracks in the leather as shown The steel undercarriage could be disassembled and the remaining rust removed but I will leave that to the next owner. The original saddle bag has a torn flap strap but can be fastened at the one remaining hole - the other straps are intact.

I removed, oiled, and cleaned the seat post and handlebar stem and wedge and they can be adjusted in the future with no seizing concerns. There was no chrome damage found to either the post or stem on the inserted chrome.

The Esge R-4 kickstand is original and was made specifically for the Raleigh Tourist configuration.

To my knowledge, the only things on this bike not original to the '79 model are the seat binder bolt (old but not original), tires, and the new KMC chain. The fresh Kenda 28" tires have no apparent wear and came installed on the bicycle when I purchased it. The tubes have been holding 50 lbs. of pressure for several days now with no leaks - I do not know if the inner tubes and rim strips are new. It is missing the reflectors and pump.

I used Whitworth tools when I cleaned this bike and the tool flats are nice and unmolested.

Local pick up is best - I can help meet up with the buyer in the Charlotte - Winston-Salem - Raleigh area if that helps. I can also hold bike for pick-up at a later date. If you really must have it shipped then add $150 as it is a big heavy bike and a beast to pack properly.

Thank you for your consideration!

PXL_20211229_182921515.jpg

PXL_20211229_182933949.jpg

PXL_20211229_182940251.jpg

PXL_20211229_182947734.jpg

PXL_20211229_182957335.jpg

PXL_20211229_183005166.jpg

PXL_20211229_183009660.jpg

PXL_20211229_183015225.jpg

PXL_20211229_183031550.jpg

PXL_20211229_183047975.jpg

PXL_20211229_183108970.jpg