When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1979 Schwinn Paramount Tandem Questions

-

GiovanniLiCalsi

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
A friend of mine gave me a Schwinn Paramount Tandem.
Serial numbers : EM801728 May 1976
It’s missing handlebars, stem and wheels.
I’m wondering if I can use a spare set of 700 tubular wheels on this frame. Will they have the same outside diameter as the original 27 x 1-1/4” wheelset?
Is it possible to install Campagnolo brakes, bottom brackets, chainrings, etc.?
What is the rear dropout configuration?
This was a very expensive tandem, when sold, in 1976-9.

DC57D300-6B6D-4CEA-A7FB-A242ADCA3790.jpeg

BE9DAF47-4338-4B74-89BB-EB759C9D12BD.jpeg

BAF06F2E-3E6F-4AED-BDF1-D056214CE7F0.jpeg

47E1B270-F88A-4CBA-B467-770F23041CF0.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't think 700c will work with Campy brakes due to lack of reach, ( if the frame is even drilled for them).
The original Mavic Canti's stopped better on a tandem, but they can be pricy.
If the first picture is the same bike then it is early '70's with the TA cranks, '79 would have come with Campy cranks

I think you can use Campy brakes if you use drop bolts(again, I think) As a side thought, A late 70's to mid 80s touring bike would probably yield useful bits---27 inch wheels with rear and front typically 40 spoke and 36 spoke respectively, and canti brakes that most likely transferable. Bridgestone T700(Grant Petersen designed), Centurion protour 15, Miyata 610, et alia. These can still be had pretty cheap, especially in odd sizes. (the miyata 610 is probably the least of the bunch).

Last edited:
Thanks!
here are the serial numbers.
EM801728
According to an online calculator, it was made in May 1976
It has a rear Shimano derailleur. Can I adapt a Campagnolo derailleur on it?

I don’t think I have the correct year.
1976 was the first year Tandems used Campagnolo cranksets.

Last edited:
If the standard serial dating system was used it would be a 76 serial. I would think the practice of stamping the head badge with the build date would be applicable on these. That started in 76.

To the question of the derailleur, yes, you can use a Campy, No adaptation, simply fitment- though you may need a long-cage variety.

If the standard serial dating system was used it would be a 76 serial. I would think the practice of stamping the head badge with the build date would be applicable on these. That started in 76.
That sounds correct.
I found a pair of the Sun CR18 rims and Continental tires and tubes. Is the existing rear Shimano derailleur correct or should I find a 300GT derailleur? From everything I’ve read, a Campagnolo derailleur will be at a wrong angle.
A Campagnolo derailleur would be preferable.
I want to use a front Cinelli Handlebars and stem and an “All Rounder” rear handlebars. Does anyone know where I can find the “All Rounder”?
I need some Campagnolo high-flange hubs, too.
There were several options for parts, so should be fun to use some period options. We’re only the Pista tandems sold with tubular rims? Too bad it’s not an option, on this one.

Back