When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1980 December Made Schwinn BMX - Unknown Model

-

cr250mark

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Please any Useful info on this BMX would be Great.
I know for sure Serial # Matches a December 1980 Schwinn.
I'm getting a lot of mixed Info.
This is exactly My Era of BMX when I was a Kid .Just not what I'm into collecting now.
Possibly interested in selling.
Could Ship.
Thought it may be sx1000 , Or a predator or scrambler.
But all these ive seen have something different than what this has.
Please enlighten me with some good info and or offers.
Thank You
Mark

IMG_4972.JPG

IMG_4973.JPG

IMG_4974.JPG

IMG_4975.JPG

IMG_4977.JPG

IMG_4978.JPG

IMG_4979.JPG

IMG_4980.JPG

IMG_4981.JPG

IMG_4982.JPG

IMG_4983.JPG

IMG_4984.JPG

IMG_4985.JPG

IMG_4989.JPG

IMG_4990.JPG

IMG_4993.JPG

IMG_4994.JPG

IMG_4995.JPG

IMG_4996.JPG

IMG_4997.JPG

cr250markI: I know for sure Serial # Matches a December 1980 Schwinn.

No, no you don't. That's why I found it for ya. b/c most think the date is on the frame but, it's not. read your head badge; 4 numbers b/c; it's a 1981 'Mini-Sting'. The top number on your head badge is a 1. the following 3 are Julian date code for which day and month . set of 3 numbers that are the Julian day of year. [wink] so you badge says 1xxx from top down (fill in the other three)

http://schwinncruisers.com/catalogs/1981.html#mini-sting
1981_schwinn_43.jpg

Please any Useful info on this BMX would be Great.
I know for sure Serial # Matches a December 1980 Schwinn.
I'm getting a lot of mixed Info.
This is exactly My Era of BMX when I was a Kid .Just not what I'm into collecting now.
Possibly interested in selling.
Could Ship.
Thought it may be sx1000 , Or a predator or scrambler.
But all these ive seen have something different than what this has.
Please enlighten me with some good info and or offers.
Thank You
Mark

View attachment 660505

View attachment 660506

View attachment 660507

View attachment 660508

View attachment 660509

View attachment 660510

View attachment 660511

View attachment 660512

View attachment 660513

View attachment 660514

View attachment 660515

View attachment 660516

View attachment 660517

View attachment 660518

View attachment 660519

View attachment 660520

View attachment 660521

View attachment 660522

View attachment 660523

View attachment 660524

Last edited:
It's a scrambler. predator frames looked the same when they came out but had different numbering on the rear dropout from what i've seen and came out a year Iater I believe. All others you've seen have something different because no parts on this bike are original to it. Maybe just the wheels?

No, no you don't. That's why I found it for ya. b/c most think the date is on the frame but, it's not. read your head badge; 4 numbers b/c; it's a 1981 'Mini-Sting'. The top number on your head badge is a 1. the following 3 are Julian date code for which day and month . set of 3 numbers that are the Julian day of year. [wink] so you badge says 1xxx from top down (fill in the other three)

http://schwinncruisers.com/catalogs/1981.html#mini-sting
View attachment 660532

Hello Jeff ,
I do not have any numbers at all on my headbadge.
Only numbers on this bike are located as seen on lower headtube . MR781852
Based on schwinn date-Code data sheet I have , it says MR = December 1980
Are you saying that this is not correct.
I did see where schwinn in the 70's started putting a 4 digit code on the headbadge but based on the visual example I seen ( written vertically up and down on left side of schwinn on headbadge )
Thank you
Mark

It's a scrambler. predator frames looked the same when they came out but had different numbering on the rear dropout from what i've seen and came out a year Iater I believe. All others you've seen have something different because no parts on this bike are original to it. Maybe just the wheels?

Hello thank you for info.

I understand most of the parts on this bike were optional add ons. Bars , pedals , neck , brake lever , seat , chain and chainwheel.
I was referring to the thickness of the upper seat tube and gusset ( brace ) between the upper and lower tube where it meets head tube.
Seen several characteristics on the frame that vary from others . Was not sure If and how it varies per model.
You are correct looks like or similar to scrambler .
Thanks Mark

A December 80 serial numbered frame would undoubtedly be a 1981 model. The date associated with the serial number is the date the number was stamped on the bike's component. Then the bike was built at some later date. I believe the actual build date was stamped on the headbadges starting at some point in 1976. If your headbadge is not stamped it was most likely replaced.

assuming predator decal is original to the bike. It does look correct. doubt it was changed. frame is the same as a scrambler of that time period. scramblers did change over the years though. and yes this would be considered an 81 model

may have proved myself wrong. here are some predator pics with same date stamp. ]

The bike was built 111 plus days after the serial was stamped. My 81 Cruiser 5 with a MR 80 serial number had a build date of 124 + days into 81.

Perfect
Thank you for the brief schooling .
I appreciate all the good info.
Heard so many different thoughts on this bike.
Thank you !!
Mark

Back