When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1980 December Made Schwinn BMX - Unknown Model

-
Hello Jeff ,
I do not have any numbers at all on my headbadge.
Only numbers on this bike are located as seen on lower headtube . MR781852
Based on schwinn date-Code data sheet I have , it says MR = December 1980
Are you saying that this is not correct.
I did see where schwinn in the 70's started putting a 4 digit code on the headbadge but based on the visual example I seen ( written vertically up and down on left side of schwinn on headbadge )
Thank you
Mark
Yes, your actual date code would be on the head badge. Yet, I completely did not see the gusset on yours, blended in with the back ground.

I seen frames dated a year before the bike was built. Schwinn was going through a transition by 82-3. they moved junk to Murray so, it may explain why yours is difficult to pin down. At least with an dec 80 dated frame you know Murray didn't do it, but Chrome frame with gusset doesn't appear until 82 Predator.

And lower also in 82 your stem makes it's 1st appearance in Schwinn's catalogs.
my best guess is; early xmas production 82 model made in 81. The advertising page showing your rims is not orange but, note that, rather than saying 'yellow' it just says "Colors" I'd be checking the weight of your frame to see if it's chrome-moly or not. That pink handle bar is alloy. No date on that head badge, could be a Murray or reasoning why Murray came aboard. otherwise the net lacks in the separate BMX catalogs Schwinn produce especially for em.
1982_schwinn_accessories_1.jpg

1982_schwinn_accessories_2.jpg

no way its a mini sting ...its either a sx 100,500,1000 or a thrasher ..im leaning towards its a sx 100 or 500 or thrasher ....its definitely loaded with nice parts ..pro neck stem is a few bucks ...nice find

first gen predator. Basically, a Scrambler diamond frame from late 79 & 80 w/ a bit larger gusset & different Brake Bridge. Head badge on bike isn't original to the bike imo.
Horionzblue nailed it with his post #7

Last edited:
Back