When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1980 News Flash Cruiser info

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

schwinnbikebobb

I live for the CABE
Some interesting Cruiser info from the News Flash letters:

From 4/25/80: For a period of 3 days this week we substituted black Cruiser saddles for the tan saddles on Deluxe Cruiser model CX7-6

From 6/30/80 The fenders as now supplied as optional equipment on Cruisers leave much to be desired on the fit. We are, therefore discontinuing this option on Models CC1-6 CC5-5 CC7-6 CC9-6 until improvements are affected.

From 10/10/80 Due to a shortage of white wall tires for Cruiser models last week we substituted gumwall for a period of 3 days.

From 10/20/80 Fenders have been re-engineered and are once again available on all Cruiser models. Option code F

Same 10/20/80 A number of comments have been received from dealers relating to the considerable lean on cruiser models due to kickstand length. About 2 weeks ago we began shipping all 26" wheel cruisers with the #57380 sprag assembly (11" long) instead of the previously used #57370 assembly (10 9/16 long)

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

Last edited:
Doesn't seem to be that much interest in these letters so I will just post some interesting Cruiser info instead from the pages:

From 4/25/80: For a period of 3 days this week we substituted black Cruiser saddles for the tan saddles on Deluxe Cruiser model CX7-6

From 6/30/80 The fenders as now supplied as optional equipment on Cruisers leave much to be desired on the fit. We are, therefore discontinuing this option on Models CC1-6 CC5-5 CC7-6 CC9-6 until improvements are affected.

From 10/10/80 Due to a shortage of white wall tires for Cruiser models last week we substituted gumwall for a period of 3 days.

From 10/20/80 Fenders have been re-engineered and are once again available on all Cruiser models. Option code F

Same 10/20/80 A number of comments have been received from dealers relating to the considerable lean on cruiser models due to kickstand length. About 2 weeks ago we began shipping all 26" wheel cruisers with the #57380 sprag assembly (11" long) instead of the previously used #57370 assembly (10 9/16 long)

Post the letters!!!!!

Dang! That's some pretty specific information. They used skinwall tires for 3 days because they ran out of whitewalls! 😂 Good info for getting the exact date of a bicycle.🙂 Then throw in the redesign of the fenders, etc......

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing with the community!👍👍

Kickstand fit is one of the most overlooked aspects of designing and building a bike. An improper fitting kickstand clamp can crush chainstays, and even with an integrated stand mount, if the arm is too short, the bike will lean way over to the side. I just replaced an original 1960s Wald kickstand on a Raleigh because the lean drove me crazy (and it was an original NOS stand too - just a bad choice for the bike when the equipment was selected). Frankly, the integrated kickstands on my Schwinn lightweights are fairly good. But bikes that lean way over are something that bug me.

Last edited:
there’s plenty of interest, post ‘em up!
it’d be great if you could post them in the paper archive or start a thread for them and link to it

"Same 10/20/80 A number of comments have been received from dealers relating to the considerable lean on cruiser models due to kickstand length. About 2 weeks ago we began shipping all 26" wheel cruisers with the #57380 sprag assembly (11" long) instead of the previously used #57370 assembly (10 9/16 long)"

Well that explains why the kickstand on the January of 1980 I have seems to be short, always feels like it will fall over.

"Same 10/20/80 A number of comments have been received from dealers relating to the considerable lean on cruiser models due to kickstand length. About 2 weeks ago we began shipping all 26" wheel cruisers with the #57380 sprag assembly (11" long) instead of the previously used #57370 assembly (10 9/16 long)"

Well that explains why the kickstand on the January of 1980 I have seems to be short, always feels like it will fall over.

YES, I have a 1980 Deluxe Cruiser that has a bit of a lean to it also. I believe it has the 370 kickstand.

Some interesting Cruiser info from the News Flash letters:

View attachment 1708146

View attachment 1708147

View attachment 1708156

View attachment 1708172

Keep posting these news flashes, as they do confirm what I have stated in previous message threads about Schwinn keeping their dealers well informed as to any changes they made to certain models throughout the manufacturing process!

Back