When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1980 Schwinn Cruiser 5, ( Spicy Chestnut )

-

Jeff54

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Nothing better to do, hitting up old Craig's list sales and there was this unsold after near 2 months. So, heck, I trolled across the net for input.

1980 MR frame serial and badged [edit] April 9 1981 #0991 and Schwinn shop sticker-ed at Los Altos Schwinn, Long beach CA. Brand new Kendra's that replaced it's original gum tires, I guess, owner said; Schwinn shop replaced with the same colored and walled tires. However, owner had not thoroughly realized they're not Schwinn brand. . Otherwise, it's missing front reflector and completely original.

P9130374.jpg
P9130371.jpg
P9130375.jpg
P9130370.jpg
P9130373.jpg
P9130372.jpg

P9130374.jpg

P9130371.jpg

P9130373.jpg

P9130370.jpg

P9130372.jpg

P9130375.jpg

Last edited:
Nice score! The 81 Chestnut Cruiser 5's are one of my all time favorites. I had one that was near mint and I'm sorry I sold it.
The MR serial number is December 1980, same as mine, so you must be reading the badge number upside down. The surfboard fork darts were a 1981 issue only.

June 15, Father's day badge #1660 with 1980 MR frame serial.

Something doesn't add up there! A headbadge number of 1660 would indicate the bike was built on Saturday June 14th, 1980. However that can't be true since the MRxxxxxx serial number indicates a December 1980 frame build, and you can't build a bike 6 months before the frame existed!

My guess is that you are reading the badge no. upside-down meaning the actual number is 0991, which would indicate the bike was built on Thursday April 9th, 1981. That also jives with the Spicy Chestnut color, which was available in '81 but not '80.

Something doesn't add up there! A headbadge number of 1660 would indicate the bike was built on Saturday June 14th, 1980. However that can't be true since the MRxxxxxx serial number indicates a December 1980 frame build, and you can't build a bike 6 months before the frame existed!

My guess is that you are reading the badge no. upside-down meaning the actual number is 0991, which would indicate the bike was built on Thursday April 9th, 1981. That also jives with the Spicy Chestnut color, which was available in '81 but not '80.

Yup, April fools! :D I were reading that badge up-side-down. I'd figured down but just checked; the read is from bottom to top. It's a 0991: April 9 1981
P9130377.jpg

Last edited:
a black one just showed up on my c l is that the most common one?it also hase the markings on the front for,were these the select series sold through schwinn shops only?

a black one just showed up on my c l is that the most common one?it also hase the markings on the front for,were these the select series sold through schwinn shops only?

From all the ones that I have seen, Black was the underdog with Chestnut then Sky Blue being the most popular colors of the day. Red was popular when offered in 1980. There was no such thing as Select Series during this time so all these were sold thru Schwinn dealers.

Nice score! The 81 Chestnut Cruiser 5's are one of my all time favorites. I had one that was near mint and I'm sorry I sold it.
The MR serial number is December 1980, same as mine, so you must be reading the badge number upside down. The surfboard fork darts were a 1981 issue only.

X2. Wish I had not sold mine also. I have seen more blue and black than Chestnut. After a casual non-scientific study of the frame and badge numbers on Chestnut, I think there was only one production run of that color.

Great pick. Great rider. One of the two I owned had the studded gum wall tires also. Nowhere close to the originals other than the lug tread design but they must have been popular replacements at some time.

X2. Wish I had not sold mine also. I have seen more blue and black than Chestnut. After a casual non-scientific study of the frame and badge numbers on Chestnut, I think there was only one production run of that color.

Great pick. Great rider. One of the two I owned had the studded gum wall tires also. Nowhere close to the originals other than the lug tread design but they must have been popular replacements at some time.

From what I can discover, I do thinks Schwinn had both gummy and white 'Studded balloon's' on em. So, they can be a little more appealing in da white,, while at the same time, Gummies make a closer color match to the chestnut.

BTW, the sun really pops, Spices-up all that color Schwinn shot em with, and inside room light is a little darker and still 'Spicy'.

P9140381.jpg

Last edited:
The selling prices on eBay has varied drastically over the last five-six years so it's hard to say what a good starting point would be. I was keeping a record of all the sell prices on these but lost all that info when my computer was hacked. These were the last of the Chicago Schwinn ballooners so they are considered collectable.

Here's mine, it had the rear Atom drum and those sell for quite a bit more than a rear caliper brake model.
000_0087 (Large).JPG

Last edited:
Back