When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1980 Schwinn Cruiser 5

-
And now a few questions.

Since the fenders are aftermarket, is the rear reflector a Schwinn approved accessory or just from the dealer?

Are these the correct pedals?

Was the ACS front hub used on all Cruiser models and did they all have heavy duty spokes? Or is that an option.

I see the generator combo in the 80 catalog. Did the dealer use the zip ties this one has on the wiring or would a metal clip be more correct?

Did I read the date code on the headbadge right? If so, how did a March 80 front hub get used so quickly?

Well your reflector says "Japan" and Schwinn began liking japan in early 70's so.

Your Pedals are the same as on my Sept. 10 1980 Cruiser. Albeit, I think some acid on em will help rust em up like mine.

zip ties prob zip and quick plus metal scratches.

Heavy-duty spokes, yup, and the hub too, yup.

Yup ya got the date code correct.

0 > year 1980
6 > the 64th day of year: March 5

Don't change anything it's a dealer special > YUP.

Last edited:
Well your reflector says "Japan" and Schwinn began liking japan in early 70's so.

Your Pedals are the same as on my Sept. 10 1980 Cruiser. zip ties prob zip and quick plus metal scratches.

0 > year 1980

I believe March 4 was the 64th day, 1980 was a leap year. And I haven't decided to ride or sell it. I took it for a short ride to make sure it shifts/stops. It rides fine and everything works. Raining here but will clean/polish it up soon. Maybe take to AA next weekend.

I believe March 4 was the 64th day, 1980 was a leap year. And I haven't decided to ride or sell it. I took it for a short ride to make sure it shifts/stops. It rides fine and everything works. Raining here but will clean/polish it up soon. Maybe take to AA next weekend.

The o'l lep year trick eh? well I thinks since it's raining you should just go ahead and ride it all the way to AA now, get a good rust start on that bike like it should have been to begin with!

If there's anything I can't stand it's a dang bike that wasn't loved, and I DON'T OWN IT!

Yeah but the very next year, I believe, Schwinn/Murray/china or whoever, figured out how dumb that front fork was and stuck fender mounting bracket on the back side of it. and there's that too, you'd have to go the extra distance to get fender bracket long enough to wrap it around like that..

In '84 I know that the Schwinn parts were assemble by Murray in Lawrenceburg, TN.

The article I have (which I'd prefer to scan but can't) states: "Under a two year agreement covering 1983-84........Schwinn will continue to manufacture the unique parts.....Finishing of frames and assembly will be Murray's contribution. The frames will be made by Schwinn in Chicago...they will then be shipped to Tennessee for finishing and assembly. Murray will build the wheels. The finished bikes will then be shipped to Schwinn's four regional distribution centers." Lots more to the article but this covers the basic facts.

Ed

And those fenders, that's a real mystery too because, Schwinn did not make any other type of bike to fit them. The heavy duty had middle weight so what's left other than cruisers?

The 1980 dealer parts catalog lists 26" Balloon chrome fenders (complete set) under p.n 55 123*. There is an asterisk next to the number which is detailed on the bottom of the page as *Not Schwinn or Schwinn Approved. I take that to mean they were probably Wald, which seems to be confirmed by @detroitbike.

The 1980 dealer parts catalog lists 26" Balloon chrome fenders (complete set) under p.n 55 123*. There is an asterisk next to the number which is detailed on the bottom of the page as *Not Schwinn or Schwinn Approved. I take that to mean they were probably Wald, which seems to be confirmed by @detroitbike.

And yet another clue resolved, once again Metacortex ya comes through. Now comes the bigger question; so, when did Schwinn, or Schwinn china or whoever, begin to reproduce em eh?

The best part of this is: I've been wanting to add some fenders on my 1980 black cruiser and now I knows, rather than hunting, fighting and bickering, I can pick out the cheap ones! :)

And now a few questions.

Since the fenders are aftermarket, is the rear reflector a Schwinn approved accessory or just from the dealer?

Are these the correct pedals?

Was the ACS front hub used on all Cruiser models and did they all have heavy duty spokes? Or is that an option.

I see the generator combo in the 80 catalog. Did the dealer use the zip ties this one has on the wiring or would a metal clip be more correct?

Did I read the date code on the headbadge right? If so, how did a March 80 front hub get used so quickly?

Your pedals do look like the issued set but I have never seen those marking on the caps. All the pedals on my Cruisers and Spitfires had the Union made with the Schwinn Approved stamped on the caps. There were many variations of that style pedal and it was used since the beginning of the 70's. Other brands of bikes also used that pedal. Back in 09 I purchased a new set from a bike shop that were identical to my rusted up Schwinn set but the caps had the Union U.

From my research the ACS high flange BMX front hub was first used on the later production Spitfire models and that hub was used thru maybe the 1982 model year. The early production Spitfires and I believe the Klunkers and Californias had the heavy duty low flange front hub.

Your Pedals are the same as on my Sept. 10 1980 Cruiser. Albeit, I think some acid on em will help rust em up like mine.

0 > year 1980

Sorry to hijack this thread, but this is Awesome info. I, too, have the fenders on my 1980 schwinn cruiser 5. Was just looking at the my rear reflector on the fenders and it says Schwinn on them. Any thoughts? What would que it in on "dealer installed"?

Thanks!

0 > year 1980

e554ac91589e3d9d8312e34a399a8e84-1.jpg

Back