When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1980 Schwinn Cruiser 5

-
Redman, the reflector you have is more commonly known as the coffin reflector that was first issued on the 1975 model Schwinns.

Redman, the reflector you have is more commonly known as the coffin reflector that was first issued on the 1975 model Schwinns.
So do you think the fenders were dealer installed? Did the walds, which the dealers installed, have any markings?

Thanks for your help!

Where we had a Schwinn Part number for fenders like on a Varsity, etc. we were taught at Schwinn
school to 'Factory install' them with rivets. But sometimes like on the aforementioned bike, there wouldn't be a current
part # so we would use Wald products. They came with Screws.

I think the fender thing is wrong, Spitfire 5 came without fenders and most Cruiser 5 came with fenders, I have owned about 6 of them still have this one, that looks like it was never ridden.

I've got an '84 Cruiser 5 and like the way it rides as well. When Bikeyard mentions "A lot of options on it" does that include the fenders? Mine had fenders on it as well and I was told that the fenders were not part of the base bike. The '80 Schwinn catalog shows this bike without fenders as well. Just curious.

Ed

Attachments

• crooser 001.jpg
    crooser 001.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 170
Aftermarket fenders on that Cruiser 5. The rear fender braces are attached to the axle and Schwinn's fenders did not attach to the axles. Fenders on these models were an add on accessory by a dealer or owner. It's pretty common to see fenders on these and all were aftermarket or the later Schwinn repops when the parts were available after the anniversary bikes, Phantom etc.

Last edited:
This bike is just collecting dust. I'm thinking of selling but have no idea of value. I've checked eBay sales but values are all over the place. Do people really collect these or just use as riders? This bike has the 5-speed drum brake. Bike looks like it was barely ridden, tires are og, brakes are tight. Could use a good polish to chrome and paint. I'm guessing 350-550 depending on location.

This bike is just collecting dust. I'm thinking of selling but have no idea of value. I've checked eBay sales but values are all over the place. Do people really collect these or just use as riders? This bike has the 5-speed drum brake. Bike looks like it was barely ridden, tires are og, brakes are tight. Could use a good polish to chrome and paint. I'm guessing 350-550 depending on location.

That bike is a beauty CDS, despite the wald fenders, but even so that's a plus. e-bay, when it's local pick-up can be depressing, but if you ship it,, it's so nice, $600 plus shipping >> buy it now, is not far fetched, maybe even more if an auction runs it. . those others wanting $550 or so, ain't no where near, not, nooope, as nice as yours is.. and although ya ain't gonna have epays taxing on ya, I wouldn't be surprised if somebody round here will give ya a a good dollar too. Not as much as epay but good enough. heck those tires alone are a good $175-250 IF you can find em like that. and those epay, or most ain't even got em.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Jeff54. It's a nice solid bike, just a little too new for me. Listed it in the f/s section.

Mine has never been ridden so I dont ride it, I had some not as nice I rode all the time, these are very collectable. First they are heavy weights that Schwinn stopped making sometime around 59 and they have heavy duty spokes. Second they are the last of the Chicago made Schwinns. I wont ever sell mine and I have sold over 400 Schwinns the last 5 years. I had one I paid 15 bucks for at a thrift shop, another I paid 70 for and this one I paid 400 for.

I have 2 58 Jags, a beautiful 59 Corvette, a 69 Panther, a 48 Autocycle, a 63 American and the Cruiser 5 is my favorite bike that I will never sell

Attachments

• cruiser 002.jpg
    cruiser 002.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 122
  • spif 002.jpg
    spif 002.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 119
  • crooser 001.jpg
    crooser 001.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Back