When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1980's Schwinn cruisers new information! 1980, redesigned decals!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jeff54

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Whelp maybe it's not new to somebody but, it's new to anybody who's selling "Schwinn Feather script" factory or authorized decals.

They are not the same size as the 50's Corvette and Jaguar. Apparently there's a type I, 50's and type II 80's, And I've been told, the 80's may be the Type III because, accordingly, the Corvette 5 speed did not use the same decal as others. Potentially 3 different types. Regardless my focus is the 80's for now.

I didn't notice on my 80/81 chestnut Cruiser 5 I sold a while ago, but saved photos and can see a difference.

I've recently acquired a 80 black cruiser and the paint is pretty decent but top bar decals 'Schwinn feather script' are dried, cracked and overall crappy. So, I decided to get some new ones. Just before I did, I found this photograph of a 1980 deluxe which was sold at e-bay, and so-claimed, one of many different Schwinn's they were selling back in May of 2014. A personal collection of one of Schwinn's executives, retired.

Really BOLD script potentially the best compared to the rest, And, later I discovered they're about 7/8" shorter AND it is NOT the scroll lines that are short, but the whole Schwinn name, from the top half, left edge of S, too the end of the n, is shorter too, by about 3/8". .
198020Schwinn20Deluxe20Cruiser20top20tub-1.jpg

I asked seller about this difference but learned not just from that one, but all across the net to word is: "There's no difference between the 50's and 80's" However, once I received a set,, Gosh be darned there sure in heck is a difference!! So far all that I've checked on e-bay and others on the net, nobody knows about this they're all selling the long script 11 1/16" +/-. I don't know about them but to me an estimated average of 7/8" difference on a 10-11 inch decal is huge!!

The 50's version has thin letters consistently. and it is 11 1/16" long tip to tip. While, the 80's can and will have different variances of bold lettering and lines. I am presuming because, the printers lacked a certain amount of quality control, AND are almost 7/8" shorter, check this out!

21980Schwinntopbardecaljpg-1.jpg

Not easy to see the difference on mine without measuring it but, I looked all across the net and discovered that it's not just the length but variances in bold print.. Some can be spotted by the legs in 'Schwinn's 'h' distance is thinner. Other's such as in my cruiser 5, it's evident on the top scroll line.. the old has a thin line where newer on this one it's fat where looking at the dot above the 'i' and the legs on the 'h'

80-81-feather-script-chestn.jpg

Also the seat post decals, those I've seen posted on the net, originals are a tad thicker too.

Now I'm hunting for an 1980's set of decals.. 10 1/4" +/- to replace mine, so, if anybody got some PM, or let me know so, I can finish my dang project!

Last edited:
Back