When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1980's World Sport rear hub

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

frawleyfly

On Training Wheels
This my first time on forum and I need some assistance. I've restored my 80's vintage World Sport and have been hearing clicking noise while riding. I've traced it down to the rear axle hub bearing race brinelling. Problem is do I need a new hub or just the races? I'd like to up grade to used quick release vintage hubs but I'm not familiar with how or if my cassette will fit on the hub.

I had to order a new cassette removal tool (lost that sucker) to see how the cassette attaches to the hub as I don't remember.
The damaged rear hub is a Sunshine 36 hole and I cannot seem to find a replacement hub or parts to fix it? Also, will the Schwinn Approved high flange quick release rear hub (up-grade) fit the cassette? I would appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Joe

Hello Joe,

the accepted terms for those gears you have on the rear are "freewheel" and/or "gear block." a cassette is another sort of beastie wherein the freewheel mechanism is integral with the hub.

yes, the gear block will thread onto any hub which is BSC/ISO thread. this is the only thread used by Schwinn.

Sunshine brand hubs are manufactured by Sansin Matsumoto Co.

you should be able to purchase a new axle set for the rear hub at most any bicycle shop.

clicking is a symptom which can have multiple causes including broken ball bearing, worn out cone, bent axle, etc.

best wishes with it. ;)

-----

Last edited:
Back