When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1981 lemon peeler?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The site you are using to date your serial number is flawed. Obviously that date is incorrect. Were is the number located? Sounds like one of the China repopped Sting Rays of the late 90's or maybe one of the recent repops. I can't open the link to see the pictures. :rolleyes:

WHY is that date incorrect? HS is an Aug. '81 bike. Schwinn made their own bikes until '82. After that, Giant from Taiwan finished their production in '83, if I'm not mistaken.

The headbadge will have a 4-digit stamping on it, starting I think, in '76? It, too, can help you date your bike very easily. It will give you the number of the day and year of production. I think the first 3 digits give the calendar day( i.e. 340 would be the 340th day of the year) and the last digit gives you the year. So, 3407 would be the 340th day of 1977. Check the tires and see if there is a code on them.

WHY is that date incorrect? HS is an Aug. '81 bike. Schwinn made their own bikes until '82. After that, Giant from Taiwan finished their production in '83, if I'm not mistaken.

If we are talking about the same bike, this is what the original poster stated.

the bike has a made in china sticker, is it possible the frame and other parts were built in Chicago and assembled in china? Would this increase or decrease it's value? The frame for sure is American built in 1981, how can I tell if the rest is American made?

I'm not positive, but I don't think a Chicago Schwinn had the Made in China stickers. Murray made quite a few of the Schwinns after the Chicago factory was closed. Then production of models with the cantilever and certain lightweight frames went to Taiwan.

Back