When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1981 Schwinn Scrambler carcass

-

parkrndl

Finally riding a big boys bike
just picked this up off Craigslist. based on the little bit of research I did, this was built by Giant for Schwinn. maybe that's why the welds are so ugly. :D the plan is to build it up with stuff I have around and enjoy beating the snot out of it like I'm 12 again.
20181229_161323.jpg

20181229_161339.jpg

20181229_161813.jpg

20181229_162653.jpg

20181229_162719.jpg

I had some 36-spoke alloy wheels off a kids' Toys-R-Us bike that look pretty good, and a junker 10-speed seat and drainpipe seatpost... now it kinda looks like a bike. Knocking off as much rust and dirt as I can. Should be a fun little beater.
20181231_103519.jpg

I also have one of these, black and yellow, with the Giant serial #, was this primarily a 1981 thing?

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk
As I understand it, in the early 1980s Schwinn transferred their production to Giant in Japan to cut costs and sell bikes at prices competitive with other manufacturers. But that's just what I got from the Wikipedia article.

If it's originally black and yellow, and has a 1981 serial number, it might be a Phantom. Scroll down to the Phantom entry here.

As I understand it, in the early 1980s Schwinn transferred their production to Giant in Japan to cut costs and sell bikes at prices competitive with other manufacturers. But that's just what I got from the Wikipedia article.

If it's originally black and yellow, and has a 1981 serial number, it might be a Phantom. Scroll down to the Phantom entry here.

Just went out to look, it has a G0681 number, you may be right about the Phantom, it looks just like the Phantom Mag with the Skyway Tuff II but without the chain guard. Strange is that it has the Scrambler decal on the top bar same as yours?
Dave

Just went out to look, it has a G0681 number, you may be right about the Phantom, it looks just like the Phantom Mag with the Skyway Tuff II but without the chain guard. Strange is that it has the Scrambler decal on the top bar same as yours?
Dave

Heh heh heh full disclosure about that Scrambler decal... it wasn't on there when I got it. It's actually not even really a decal; I made a stencil and sponge-painted it on. I am fairly sure, though, that when my bike was new it had that type decal in that spot.

Interesting that yours has a Scrambler decal. They don't list black as a color for the Scrambler that year, but I suppose stuff like that happened at the factory. Does yours have a single gusset there at the head tube or a double gusset?

Also, if anyone else is following along, I did change the seatpost out like I was thinking of doing...
20190114_094446.jpg

Heh heh heh full disclosure about that Scrambler decal... it wasn't on there when I got it. It's actually not even really a decal; I made a stencil and sponge-painted it on. I am fairly sure, though, that when my bike was new it had that type decal in that spot.

Interesting that yours has a Scrambler decal. They don't list black as a color for the Scrambler that year, but I suppose stuff like that happened at the factory. Does yours have a single gusset there at the head tube or a double gusset?

Also, if anyone else is following along, I did change the seatpost out like I was thinking of doing...
View attachment 951273

It has the double gusset , i will post a pic if i can get a good one tonight.

Back