When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1981 schwinn single speed?

-

JKid714

Look Ma, No Hands!
I was looking at the 1981 catalog online, and they did not mention any single speed cruisers. They only mentioned the Deluxe, as well as the 5 speed cruisers. Does anyone know if they produced any single speed that year? My bike serial number starts with LS, but has a coaster break. I was looking to replace the fork on my bike because it has a capilar. I was thinking maybe the first owner replaced it, but what if he switched out the 5 speed to a single speed? Can anyone confirm. Thanks guys

Looks like they were available. But I have no idea what a capilar is.

1981_25.jpg

They definitely made a coaster brake model as shown above. The ghost outline of the fork dart on your bike indicates it's a 1981 model and I did mention the actual build date of your bike will be stamped in the head badge. I believe the 82 models had the old V darts on the fork. I doubt your fork was changed out and having a drilled fork for a brake caliper on a coaster model was somewhat common. The ghost image of your chain guard screening is also for the coaster Cruiser only.

They definitely made a coaster brake model as shown above. The ghost outline of the fork dart on your bike indicates it's a 1981 model and I did mention the actual build date of your bike will be stamped in the head badge. I believe the 82 models had the old V darts on the fork. I doubt your fork was changed out and having a drilled fork for a brake caliper on a coaster model was somewhat common. The ghost image of your chain guard screening is also for the coaster Cruiser only.
That’s really interesting. They didn’t mention the color red on the catalog though. Does the color on my bike look original?

That’s really interesting. They didn’t mention the color red on the catalog though. Does the color on my bike look original?

Just saw your thread on the Schwinn Bike Forum. Now that I know the actual build date of the bike that changes my thoughts. The bike is a 1982 model. November serial numbered bikes were usually on Schwinn's normal model year transition bikes. As Randall said on the SBF, Cardinal Red was not offered on the 81 models but it was on the 1982 models, so your 82 Cruiser is wearing it's original paint. The paint choices are printed in the top left corner, small print. Fork may or may not have been replaced, but I've only seen the surfboard darts on the 1981 models even though they are pictured in the 82 catalog. The fork darts could also have been changed after the first few production batches of these 82 cruisers. Catalog pictures have also been known to be incorrect with the small details. Pretty good chance your fork is original since the condition matches the rest of the frame.

1982_28.jpg

Thanks. That’s some good information. Here’s the date on the fork. It also says 81 on the inside. I’m not too sure what the 45 is though. I’m just going to keep the fork I have. I’ve had the bike for years. Might as well keep it the way it is.
8B015D42-9AC2-47EB-B095-8DF213989B50.png

7FC8B986-51B9-4D35-98B3-E4A2E17A51FD.png

I have an 82 cruiser myself. KS S# with an 0742 build date. It has provisions for caliper brakes, rough shape but I'd say they are original to the bike.

For the ‘82 Schwinn Cruiser, did the reflectors for the rim spokes come with a clip or screws? I have the ones with screws.
image.jpg

Back