When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 Schwinn Cruiser with tubular forks

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
@Xlobsterman so I’m waiting for your response , because I’d swear on the holy bible I have several ‘80 frames & even an ‘81 according to the # look up thing ? that have the rounded style brake bridge or whatever you called it ?

@Xlobsterman so I’m waiting for your response , because I’d swear on the holy bible I have several ‘80 frames & even an ‘81 according to the # look up thing ? that have the rounded style brake bridge or whatever you called it ?
like this?

MQ = 1980, frame December 79
1663635901207.png

Rounded bridge.

Could it be your fender brace frames are a Typhoon or HD? My 78 Spitfire has a fender brace (narrow), 80 Cruiser Deluxe (79 frame stamp) Brake bridge wide. 81, 82, 83 Cruisers brake bridge wide.

Seems like sometime in 80 they figured why make both style bridges and just made the brake bridge even for the 1 speed coaster brake.

Could it be your fender brace frames are a Typhoon or HD? My 78 Spitfire has a fender brace (narrow), 80 Cruiser Deluxe (79 frame stamp) Brake bridge wide. 81, 82, 83 Cruisers brake bridge wide.

Up to and thru the 1979 model year balloon tire bikes had the rolled fender brace. The 1980 and 81 models had the brake/fender bridge. Seems odd since most had the drum brake and there were coaster models. A simple reason why might be the flat brake bridge was just as easy or easier to make and easier to locate and weld it to the stays. A few of the Cruisers did have the rear caliper verses the drum, but not enough of those were made to make a difference. When the middleweights were first introduced all the models were or had a gear options, so every frame made had the brake/fender bridge. This practice continued on for years until all the balloon models were changed to middleweights in 1957 and at that time they were making frames with both bridges.

Up to and thru the 1979 model year balloon tire bikes had the rolled fender brace. The 1980 and 81 models had the brake/fender bridge. Seems odd since most had the drum brake and there were coaster models. A simple reason why might be the flat brake bridge was just as easy or easier to make and easier to locate and weld it to the stays. A few of the Cruisers did have the rear caliper verses the drum, but not enough of those were made to make a difference. When the middleweights were first introduced all the models were or had a gear options, so every frame made had the brake/fender bridge. This practice continued on for years until all the balloon models were changed to middleweights in 1957 and at that time they were making frames with both bridges.

Right, but what thee is saying is he has 80 and newer cruisers with the rolled fender brace. Did they make 80 and up cruiser frames with the fender brace or is it possible they are middleweight typhoon or HD frames.

Those would be "Middleweight Frames" like used on the Typhoon or Heavy Duti part number 28 020. The 1980 Cruiser Frame had a different part number 28 023

Back