When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1983 Cruiser - stuck seatpost

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Is the frame a Chicago frame or Murray built? The bottom bracket and the method of attaching the chain stays will tell.
How does one find out? I have a 1980 Schwinn heavy Duti. Serial starts with FR and it's under the Schwinn head badge.

No date found yet on the forks, I dont see anything in the area where Ive seen date codes before but I still have to take the wheels off.
The S2 wheels do look older to me, and have thin spokes..guessing they were switched out at some point.

Looks like a fun project now. Cool idea for removing that post.
Thanks! at first, I thought it was an extreme method and possibly would rip the bike in half!.. but for $40 I had to try it for fun lol

How does one find out? I have a 1980 Schwinn heavy Duti. Serial starts with FR and it's under the Schwinn head badge.

If your bike is a 1980, it is a Chicago built frame. I believe chicago stopped building them mid 83. This Murray built late 83 has a different looking bottom bracket and a different method of attaching the chain stays.

schwinn side 034.jpg

I'm curious what the serial number stamping month is on your frame. I'm not sure if Murray made the Schwinn style head tubes but really doubt they did since the later Schmurray's don't have the Schwinn head tube. At this point, I think Schwinn was out of the game completely but they had a mess of components made (head tubes) that were used on the Schmurray frames.

I'm curious what the serial number stamping month is on your frame. I'm not sure if Murray made the Schwinn style head tubes but really doubt they did since the later Schmurray's don't have the Schwinn head tube. At this point, I think Schwinn was out of the game completely but they had a mess of components made (head tubes) that were used on the Schmurray frames.

the frame stamp is JU519056

Back