When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1984 Murray Monterey

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

SamG

Finally riding a big boys bike
I'm new to the site and recently re-entered mountain biking purchasing new. Meanwhile I restored my old 1989 Trek 850 Antelope thinking it was DNR and converted it to a hybrid/cruiser. I've developed an interest in restorations and came across an Elgin but somebody beat me to it. While looking for a beater to tinker with I found a 1984 Murray Monterey that I like. My dilemma is... it appears to be in pretty decent condition with original parts, original paint, original 1984 Olympics decals, etc..... My original intent was to repaint it perhaps a military theme, but not sure if a bike like this should remain original??? Thoughts???

B413FCB2-E5C8-4D7A-8E1A-5A1259943FA3.jpeg

0AA1DCDE-858F-477D-A6F7-EB575054994C.jpeg

Brother SamG:
Welcome to the Cabe. This Murray has no special value as a collectible, so feel free to do what brings you joy. It looks cool as is and you could clean it up a bit and ride it with pride. It would also look cool as a military tribute. I've attached pics of a Royce-Union cruiser with olive drab paint as an example of that approach. Or you could throw some ape hangers and a banana seat on it. There's no wrong answer here. Have fun!

Brother SamG:
Welcome to the Cabe. This Murray has no special value as a collectible, so feel free to do what brings you joy. It looks cool as is and you could clean it up a bit and ride it with pride. It would also look cool as a military tribute. I've attached pics of a Royce-Union cruiser with olive drab paint as an example of that approach. Or you could throw some ape hangers and a banana seat on it. There's no wrong answer here. Have fun!

View attachment 1684903

View attachment 1684904

View attachment 1684905
Love the "NO STEP"...........

Brother SamG:

View attachment 1684903

View attachment 1684904

View attachment 1684905
AndyA thanks…. That Elgin I saw really had the look I wanted with the double top tube reminiscent of an antique Harley. Would have made a nice military tribute. I’m also thinking an early racing bike replica with the bars turns down, etc. maybe a V frame for that one.

Brother SamG:

View attachment 1684903

View attachment 1684904

View attachment 1684905
The guy want $50 for the 1984 Murray which doesn’t sound bad, but I can probably get a brand new something for not too much more.

Back