When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1984 Schwinn Le Tour LUXE...another keeper??!!

-

HARPO

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Aye Carumba! I really need to stay off the internet looking for bikes.
IMG_4108.jpg

IMG_4109.jpg

IMG_4111.jpg

IMG_4113.jpg

IMG_4114.jpg

IMG_4115.jpg

IMG_4116.jpg

IMG_4118.jpg

IMG_4120.jpg

IMG_4121.jpg

IMG_4122.jpg

IMG_4123.jpg

The problem is that I keep finding them in my size!!! I'm looking for ones to have fun detailing and flipping, but I keep finding them in my size at cheap prices, and of course don't want to let them go (my poor wife puts up with this, thankfully). This is the first LUXE I've owned...other regular Le Tour's, but never a LUXE version.

This was a one owner bike, sold to me by the owners daughter. Her father had bought a new bike a while ago, and this one, always garage kept, was taking up space for a long time. So, since I CAN'T pass up a true bargain, home with me it went. It's as it left Schwinn from the Mississippi factory back in 1984. Cloth tape is still there and intact. Crazy. So, good cleaning, detailing etc. will be done.

I took these photos in my house as it's raining outside right now. It will give you an idea as to how nice it is for a 44 year old bike. And as to why I couldn't pass it up? A mere $40...

Oh well. Look what I found under the grime. A poor attempt at fixing an issue that I didn't see. It was raining and I was thrilled at the price, so I guess you really do get what you pay for.

I won't be riding this anytime soon...so it looks like a parts bike!

IMG_4125.JPG

IMG_4127.JPG

IMG_4128.JPG

Any thoughts anyone? Any chance that paint is missing (came off) and this is silver brazing popping through?

Spent today cleaning and greasing up the bike. Repacked the front wheel bearings and fork. Need to do the rear wheel as it sounds "metalic" when spinning.
Not a lot of miles on the bike as it's still wearing the original rubber. But the grease on the headset was almost gone, and what was left was caked on.

Paint is in very good condition, and I found original decals I had for it! Bought them many years ago on ebay for not a lot of money.

It turns out from what I can see is that the silver on the botom is the frame metal. The grey paint is on top of it, so maybe the factory down south didn't clean that area to well before spraying. It appears I've dodged a bullet...

Spent today cleaning and greasing up the bike. Repacked the front wheel bearings and fork. Need to do the rear wheel as it sounds "metalic" when spinning.
Not a lot of miles on the bike as it's still wearing the original rubber. But the grease on the headset was almost gone, and what was left was caked on.

Paint is in very good condition, and I found original decals I had for it! Bought them many years ago on ebay for not a lot of money.

It turns out from what I can see is that the silver on the botom is the frame metal. The grey paint is on top of it, so maybe the factory down south didn't clean that area to well before spraying. It appears I've dodged a bullet...

Without examining the bike, I would tend to agree. I would sand/stip the paint in that whole area to be sure but with low mileage from an adult owner I would be hard pressed to explain how "damage" like that could occur. The area in question is not a hi-vis location with the corret mix and an airbrush, you could easily make it look original

I've had a number of Le Tours but not this model which i believe is the best of the breed. One of my earlier ones was silver and made in Japan I think. Gas pipe tubes and felt just like riding a Varsinental........down hill was a blast, but up hill not so much.

Last edited:
Back