When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1984 Schwinn Le Tour LUXE...another keeper??!!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Aye Carumba! I really need to stay off the internet looking for bikes. View attachment 867206

View attachment 867207

View attachment 867208

View attachment 867209

View attachment 867210

View attachment 867211

View attachment 867212

View attachment 867213

View attachment 867214

View attachment 867215

View attachment 867216

View attachment 867217

The problem is that I keep finding them in my size!!! I'm looking for ones to have fun detailing and flipping, but I keep finding them in my size at cheap prices, and of course don't want to let them go (my poor wife puts up with this, thankfully). This is the first LUXE I've owned...other regular Le Tour's, but never a LUXE version.

This was a one owner bike, sold to me by the owners daughter. Her father had bought a new bike a while ago, and this one, always garage kept, was taking up space for a long time. So, since I CAN'T pass up a true bargain, home with me it went. It's as it left Schwinn from the Mississippi factory back in 1984. Cloth tape is still there and intact. Crazy. So, good cleaning, detailing etc. will be done.

I took these photos in my house as it's raining outside right now. It will give you an idea as to how nice it is for a 44 year old bike. And as to why I couldn't pass it up? A mere $40...

-----

our HARPO's enumeration of gifts be doubtless a lenghty one...

suspect that included amongst their number be not mathematics

the temporal transit betwixt nineteen and eighty-four and that of twenty and twenty be thirty-six winters rather than forty-four ;)

-----

-----

...the thing which struck me most strongly at first glance was the presence of the topmount shifters

these launched in nineteen and eighty-two, were around for but a brief time of one and one half to two years

most manufacturers had discontinued them by their '84 model year products

possible that whilst cycle an '84 model year example it may have been produced during calendar year '83

IIRC member @Metacortex hath writ in detail on the topic of the head emblem markings with relation to dating

-----

My 1984 Le Tour Luxe also has the top mount shifters (Suntour) and the head badge build date is 0824, which would put assembly in March 1984. I bought it in probably May or June of that year from a bike shop in Eau Claire, WI. Traded the Blackburn rack for baby seats for my bike and my wife’s lady Le Tour bought at the same time. If I remember correctly the Le Tour was $299 and the Luxe was $339. Although I have a much newer Cannondale hybrid, the Luxe is still my go to bike for road rides. The 1-1/4” wide tires and long wheelbase give it a smooth ride. Getting harder to find tires now. I have Vittoria Zaffiros on it now and ride it about 50 miles a week.

-----

Thanks very much for this post. ;)

Regarding the search for 27" tyres there is a sticky thread at BF on them.

It covers user experience and notices of good buys.

The ultimate 27" tire reference thread!

-----
Thanks Juvela, I had the cheap Kendas on the Luxe previously (bought at Amazon) and did not like them. Seemed to ride rough and then the gum wall cracked after just a couple of years. So far the Vittoria Zaffiro tires are doing great. Smooth ride, corner well and seem to be reasonably fast. I hit 38 MPH on a downhill today with a 16 mph avg on 25 miles. I might try those Schwalbe gum walls next just to get back to the original look.

Back