When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1985 Trek 720 Touring

-
Thanks for the kind words, @Maxacceleration! The seatpost will likely still go up a little bit before I actually ride it but I was feeling self conscience about that stem. It's bottomed out in the fork but still really high I felt. I am getting to the point where comfort is getting to be more of a priority, though!

I finally got this one buttoned up and took it for a maiden voyage on the Root River trail network of Lanesboro, MN, which I grew up riding on. My wife's Cannondale Topstone is also pictured.
thumbnail_IMG_0962.jpg

Today I got another 720. A local sale, the guy bought it recently thinking it was a 19''. It's a 22.5'' (bottom), mine is a 21'' (top). I think I will evaluate which one fits me better and swap some parts around. I'm 5'8'' with a 30'' inseam so I could go either way, really.
thumbnail_IMG_1134.jpg

I did end up swapping over to the bigger frame, I did not like how the 21'' headtube was so small. Standover might be right on the verge for me but should work fine enough. Next month I'll be taking this on a biking trip in its native Madison, WI. Can't wait to get some miles on this and drink some Spotted Cow!

thumbnail_IMG_2028.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2029.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2030.jpg

Here's my latest project, a 1985 (1984 frame build) Trek 720 touring bike. I have been in the market for a touring bike again after I sold my Panasonic Pro Touring a few years ago (instantly regretted selling it but it went to a friend who appreciates it, so all is well). I also had a 1998 Trek 520 from age 12-18 that I rode the wheels off of so I do like a good touring bike. This one showed up nearby for a semi-reasonable price. A little on the high side when factoring in actual usable parts but far less than that '71 Paramount I was eyeing, haha!

These are highly regarded for their touring characteristics and build quality. They feature extremely long chainstays for stability and to avoid foot/pedal strikes with the panniers when loaded. They also feature 531 tubing and were handbuilt in Waterloo, Wisconsin. Although this one is decaled as an '85 model, these frames stopped production in 1984.

The plan is to get rid of the worn, grimy and mismatched parts and add some quality and correct parts befitting of such a rig. About the only parts that will stay will be the headset, front derailleur, handlebars, shifters and crankset/BB.

View attachment 1280840

View attachment 1280841

View attachment 1280842
Stumbled on your build and loved it. I was a very young Marine in North Carolina with no money and needed a ride. I went to the local bike shop and put a beautiful Trek 720 on layaway for three paychecks. When I finally picked it up I road it from Havlock to Greenville NC to see my girlfriend at ECU. Great memories. I’d love to find one and rebuild it myself some day. Currently we are living on our sailboat ⛵️ sailing the east Coast. Keep up the really cool work!!

Back