When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1986 Cimarron

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I remember those at the Schwinn Dealer I worked at during that time.......They were very expensive and a slow seller due to their price.......a very nice ride though!!!! We had one stolen off of our showroom but We did get it back the same day!!!!

You are right about the grips. My left grip is damaged at the bar end, but still serviceable. The correct stem for my bike is a Suntour XC, and I have a lead on that (sadly it does not have the logo button on the front of the stem). I also have a pair of correct pedals on the way (without dustcaps), but I located a pair of caps in my LBS's junk drawers that should be close enough.

I haven't pulled the seat post yet, but it looks like it may be original. Finding a San Marcos 171-2 leather saddle is not high on my to do list at the moment. An Avocet Touring 1 saddle may be easier to find and was standard on the 1985.

I am considering a repaint and new decals since the paint is in such poor condition; but job #1 will be dis-assembly, cleaning, bearing service, and locating the silver/grey housings that look like the originals.
I think my friend Lee has a couple of those stems, new old stock in the box. Contact me if you are interested.
Chris

I think my friend Lee has a couple of those stems, new old stock in the box. Contact me if you are interested.
Chris
I just closed a trade deal on the stem without the button, but I would still like to hear more from your friend.

I have no idea what the previous owner of this bike used as a lubricant, but it must have been an aerosol. It has left a residue that is practically impervious to detergent. Nearly every metal surface is coated with gummy, waxy, or dried residue, including frame, chain rings, wheels, derailleurs, shift levers, and brakes (except for the pads). Formula 409 and Purple Power removed most of it, but there is a bit left on the fork ends, drop outs, and bottom bracket area. It will still require one more detergent wash before I use auto paint compound to get the last of it off.

A few areas that I thought were scrapes were actually grunge, and I uncovered a repainted area on the top tube that was under the dirt. I am thinking about wet sanding the (badly) repainted area to see what is below.

Took my '86 Cimarron to the LBS to have the bottom bracket removed (I lack the tool). They were slammed with work and said it would take a couple of days. That's no problem since I have a whole box of parts to clean. Velo Orange is having a garage sale next Saturday so I may make the drive up there mainly to get silver brake and shifter cables at 20% off. While I am there I will peruse their garage sale stock.

I found a decent paint match, so with a combo of brush and spray the frame is looking pretty good. My aim is not a restoration, but to bring the bike back as a rider and save it from rust and ruin. I was able to protect the decals and intend to use an auto polish when the paint has cured.

To prepare, I wet sanded the frame with 800 and 1500 grit paper. I was careful not to take the original finish down to bare metal. I did the best I could to prep the chipped areas before the first base coat and then began painting. I still have a few touch-up spots that were missed, and those will be addressed soon.

Here is where I am at the moment. Still need to let it cure and then polish.

IMG_0032.JPG

Impatient me decided to polish the three main tubes today. I should have waited longer, but no real damage was done to the paint. The down tube looks great (home of the hardest paint I think). The seat and top tubes look really good, but not like the down tube. After polishing, the paint still retains a bit of orange peel as a testament to my skills, but I'll take the results. Now I have to sit on my hands for a couple of days before touching it again.

BTW: Testors Red #1203 is nearly a perfect match to Schwinn Sunrise Red after it dries.

Back