When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1986? Zephyr Freestyle BMX bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

sworley

I live for the CABE
This weekend I began evaluating the needs and tear down of this old BMX bike that my wife's cousins used to ride. It was recently pulled out of a SE Iowa barn and was covered in dirt, dust and bird droppings. Her cousins are now in their 40s but some have their own small kids now so I plan to fix it up and either just let them know or gift it to their kids - not sure yet.

I really like the original color and plan to keep that and as many of the original parts as possible. I am of the understanding that this is a pretty low-end bike but I was surprised to at least see some decent parts on it - Tange seatpost collar, Skyway mags, Sakae stem, etc.

I will continue tearing it down. I've already sourced a reproduction Dominator seat and need to find hardware for the seat collar. It's a bummer the paint is so rough on the bars, frame and headset cups but repainting does not seem right to me. Not sure what to do there...

thumbnail_IMG_0110.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0216.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0217.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0218.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0219.jpg

The OS BMX world is very much a money related group...people think that anything that isnt a GT Performer or a Hutch is "low end" when in actuality alot of these bikes were made by the same manufacturers that some of the "big name" bikes were made by. The welds on that bike look solid and Im willing to bet that the fork is made by Akisu and to come with genuine Skyways....that is a solid bike. Polish the paint, Salon40 the mags and rock it all day long bud. Killer bike!

The OS BMX world is very much a money related group...people think that anything that isnt a GT Performer or a Hutch is "low end" when in actuality alot of these bikes were made by the same manufacturers that some of the "big name" bikes were made by. The welds on that bike look solid and Im willing to bet that the fork is made by Akisu and to come with genuine Skyways....that is a solid bike. Polish the paint, Salon40 the mags and rock it all day long bud. Killer bike!
I agree...cool bike, I'd own it! :cool:

More progress. I couldn't find a big enough tote/container to submerge the mags in peroxide so instead, I just put them in the sun and spritzed them with a peroxide spray bottle often. Turned out alright relative to the dirty rear mag (freewheel is still stuck on before I can do that one) but once I mounted the new white tire it wasn't as good. Oh well, this is not a perfect bike by any means...

Also sourced some cheapo fork standers that I'll rattle can white.

thumbnail_IMG_0596.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0599.jpg

Back on its feet again. Sourced a new chainring, the original was just too bent up to use. I'd like to get some period plastic pedals in nicer shape and clean the mags a little better. I'll probably run downtown tonight for white brake housing so I can get that set up. Otherwise pretty happy with it. Not sure I'll actually ride it, the rear mag has a ton of cracks in it...
thumbnail_IMG_0657.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0659.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0660.jpg

Just wrapped up last night after retro-brighting the pedals for a few days. Not sure what I'll do next with it. I doubt the family wants it back, seems scary to ride with the cracked rear mag and it seems unlikely I'll use it as a display piece.

thumbnail_IMG_0798.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0795.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0796.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0793.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0797.jpg

Yeah, that's another thought - just get a replacement. But not too sure I'd even care to ride this. I have nine other bikes I'd be inclined to ride more, haha!

Back