When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1987 GT Pro Performer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

sworley

I live for the CABE
Thought I’d bring this over to the projects forum to document the progress. I’ve had it a week now and it’s been slow going but that’s OK.

I’ve got it mostly apart aside from a seatpost that turns but doesn’t want to wiggle out, a freewheel soaking in penetrating oil and a gyro, which I’ve never messed with one before so I have some trepidation.

Going for a survivor build on this one since it’s all pretty much there with the original parts and given the $$$ of nicer parts.

I’m starting to realize these Performers are like the Schwinn Phantoms or ‘57 Chevys of the vintage BMX world but still happy to have one! While they are a very iconic bike for their time and niche, it seems like many were sold and many are around still today - BMX Museum has three plus pages of user submitted results for this year and model!

Being 34, this wasn’t what I was riding around on as a kid but come on, who can get excited about mid-school?!

309D7C68-EF0B-42B4-B0C6-7CC207031CDA.jpeg

30D8161A-30CD-441F-A127-2503E55EC53F.jpeg

B57C469D-969D-4B7D-9B0B-174FACE1D828.jpeg

46D261AB-1CD5-4D72-9EBB-21186ACD5170.jpeg

Last edited:
Very cool bike , i am 48 so i remember going to all the gt & haro shows back in the day & went to see RAD the movie at the theater , met eddie fiola & all the dudes several times , i still got my 1985 gt performer i got for Christmas in 1985 , will post some pics of it soon , cant wait to see your bike done

Also glad to hear you are going for a survivor build thats awesome , very glad i listened to a couple older gentleman i hang around with on some of my old bikes & didn't restore them , because they told me that they are only original one time !!!!!!! , good luck buddy !!!!!

It's going to look great once you're done with it. Yes, keep it as a survivor - that one is too nice to start with. I'm in my late 40's and also remember the glory days of BMX and Freestyle in particular. I had an '86 (or maybe '85?) chrome Haro Sport. So much fun tinkering with bikes back then, upgrading to 3 piece cranks, ACS Rotor, Peragrine 48's....all good times.

A little bit further apart.

Bonered up the threads of the stem bolt removing the wedge, luckily I have a machinist friend. Still can’t get the freewheel off despite soaking it in PB Blaster for days, luckily I also have a strong as hell friend...

77749AB6-3822-4E06-863F-FC2B467F1640.jpeg

Some progress. Strong friend and machinist friend did their magic.

Spent some time this weekend cleaning up the frame, fork and front wheel with pretty good results!

Looks like I’ll need a new fork crown race, this one has chrome flaking and is pretty pitted. Seat post wiggles but I can’t get it coming out cause lifting on my benchvise lifts the whole tabletop, haha! I should get that bench bolted up someday...

102FEDF1-1FFA-46D8-ADFA-7CBA3C4D3579.jpeg

Some progress. Strong friend and machinist friend did their magic.

Spent some time this weekend cleaning up the frame, fork and front wheel with pretty good results!

Looks like I’ll need a new fork crown race, this one has chrome flaking and is pretty pitted. Seat post wiggles but I can’t get it coming out cause lifting on my benchvise lifts the whole tabletop, haha! I should get that bench bolted up someday...

View attachment 1217598
Looks great I had one exactly like that same colour and everything I think I got it in 87 man I sure wish I hadn’t now that really reminds me of the one I had...looks good can’t wait to see it all finished up if I had any idea that would be so cool today I would’ve kept mine don’t even know what happened to it

Been awhile but some progress. My friend got me some cheap used tires for now. Might ride these and see how I like the bike then buy a pair of legit white tires for show.

Building the bike back up and waxing as I go. Seems like it’ll be pretty nice for a survivor!

7D7AB6D3-4A80-43DE-97BE-CAB3699E0DA1.jpeg

F9487606-0A68-4C0A-8DBF-FFB12A95E5B6.jpeg

thumbnail_IMG_2061.jpg

Last edited:
Back