When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1987 Schwinn World Sport...just brought it home...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

HARPO

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Here I go again...another bike I don't need, but I hate to pass up a bargain in my size.

I bought this from the original owner this morning off of Craigslist, where it was just listed as a "10 Speed Bike"...which is incorrect anyway as it's a 12 speed. The two photos were dark, but in the description it was listed as a Schwinn World Sport and I could make out the decals as being a 1986 or 1987 model. Although it looked like dark grey with all the dust on it and making it a 1986, the head badge number is 0067, so January 6th of 1987, making it one of the first 1987 models. And the color is Black, now that I cleaned a small area, which I believe was the only color offered that year.

Original owner, a very nice gentleman, told me it has been sitting in his dry basement for over 12 years unused, and it was time to part ways. The bike is 100% original, right down to the Schwinn dried out tires. He told me nothing had been changed since the original purchase and it wasn't ridden much in all those years, and I believe him. Even the decals are in beautiful condition, with the bike being just dirty as you can see. This will be a fun project!

Oh, and I paid a mere $40 to him for it. Shows that once in a while good deals can still be had.

BTW...if none of you have seen the blog "Johns Recycled Bicycles", you must check it out. Ironically, he did this exact same bike! And what a job he does.
http://johns-recycled-bicycle.blogspot.com/2015/10/1986-schwinn-world-sport-restoration.html
I thought I did nice work, but he puts me to shame. Check it out along with the other bikes he's done
IMG_4932.jpg

IMG_4933.jpg

IMG_4934.jpg

IMG_4935.jpg

IMG_4936.jpg

IMG_4937.jpg

IMG_4938.jpg

IMG_4939.jpg

IMG_4940.jpg

IMG_4941.jpg

Last edited:
-----

Fork appears to be an Akisu; doubt that Giant made it themselves. There should be a marking on the steerer.

Pedal set is same HTI Nr. 866 as found on your Traveler.

Specification crosstable for 1987 model year -

b4iw41.jpg

-----

I started to do some work on the bike today, and was wondering how the alloy rims could possibly have rust on them (which I noticed upon purchase but wasn't wearing my glasses to examine more closely).

Well, it turns out it isn't rust. It appears to almost be like someone spilled syrup and the bike was ridden over it and it splattered. I took my finger nail and scraped it and it comes off. But I'm not going to do that to both rims, so I need some advice as to an easy way to clean this off. I tried WD-40, why I have no idea, and of course that's useless.

So...any and all suggestions appreciated!!! :)

I just ordered a pair of Kenda K35 tires off of ebay...$21 with shipping. Inexpensive tires for an inexpensive bike.

BTW...the "syrup" on the rims wasn't that. Turned out to be something else, I have no idea what, but it all came off.
I figured that I'd give a try again by spraying some 409 on a paper towel and rubbing it. Presto! With hardly any force, the junk just wiped away. The rims look brand new and I couldn't be happier.

Oh, and the black paint is shining up to the point that it almost looks wet, with barely a scratch on it. Decals are almost perfect. Nice when a detailing comes along easy for a change.

-----

my apologies that the specifications crosstable came out so fuzzy. it was clear on me monitor but suffered from an auto-resizing done by software. :(

here is the link to the original which is large format and clear -

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1981_1990/1987_17.html

looking forward to the "after" images Don Federico, when you have completed your usual stellar oeurve. ;)

-----

Back