When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1995? Kona Humuhumunukunukuapua'a Cruiser/Klunker Project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I was totally brain dead when I let this one go.

Kona.jpg

Was just revisiting this build. I love it!

@sworley - curious on the bb and headset. Looks to be a Euro bb? Is the headset an old school 1” (32.5) or later road/mountain 1” (30.2)?
also when you got word from Kona, did they mention any other colors for the pre catalog ‘94? If I understand correctly, the humu first appeared in 91/92, but wasn’t cataloged until ‘95. And in 95 Canti mounts were added

Hi @Dizzle Problems thanks for the kind words!

Here's what I heard back from Kona support when I emailed inquiring about the model year: "HI that one looks like a 1994. Nice." "Yeah it was made after the catalog was out. There were no reshoots or webpages back then."

No elaboration about the canti posts (or lack thereof) or what was the first year of production. '91 or '92 seems really early to me. Earliest I've seen/heard/inclined to believe is 1994 but I'd be open to learning more about these cool bikes!

Yes, the BB is your standard 68mm English threaded unit. The trouble I had finding this BB was getting an ISO spindle vs. JIS as these Kooka cranks are US-made, not Japanese/RoW.

Not sure on the headset, sorry. It was a used headset my local shop had on consignment from some old codger's Waterford. I know they had to do a good deal of grinding on the steerer tube to get the crown race installed if that tells you anything. The CK appears to be of an older design and has the "diamonds" on it. I heard a rumor once that those diamonds were pre 1995 but I don't know if there's any merit to that.

There's a nice listing of older Konas at BMXmuseum: https://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/kona/

@Dizzle Problems now I see on rat rod bikes why you're asking for these details. Nice score on that frame!

Some more info that may be helpful:
Seatpost diameter: 26.6
Rear spacing, goofy - wider than 110mm but not 130. I cinched a 110mm coaster hub in there
BB: 68mm x typically 109 or 113mm spindle - adjust for chainline but those are good single chainring sizes
My serial is J93101142 where maybe the 4 denotes the year being mine's a 1994?
Anything else just ask!

Kona's tech support was very prompt and helpful, drop them a line at [email protected]

@Dizzle Problems now I see on rat rod bikes why you're asking for these details. Nice score on that frame!

Some more info that may be helpful:
Seatpost diameter: 26.6
Rear spacing, goofy - wider than 110mm but not 130. I cinched a 110mm coaster hub in there
BB: 68mm x typically 109 or 113mm spindle - adjust for chainline but those are good single chainring sizes
My serial is J93101142 where maybe the 4 denotes the year being mine's a 1994?
Anything else just ask!

Kona's tech support was very prompt and helpful, drop them a line at [email protected]
Thanks man. Yea, I’m super stoked to have found one. Didn’t want to post a pic up in you build thread. It figured you’d have some details for me! When I posted the questions I didn’t have the frame in hand yet. I reached out to Kona and they told me mine is ‘95 and seatpost is 27.0. My headtube seems to be JIS 30.0 as well. From the pics I couldn’t tell if it was a euro or American bb (as my a’ha’s are American) but it is indeed euro. I’ll prop go with a 19mm bmx set up. The rear spacing is weird. Mine was at 132mm, prob cold set at one point. I hit it with my alignment tool and one side was 2mm out. Brought it back in, all straightened and ready at 130. I’ll just space a coaster to fit.
Yours is a favorite to the aesthetic I want with mine. I’ll keep ya posted

Last night I scored some used S&M High Husky bars locally for the Kona. I also have these bars in chrome but they went on the Cook. I've recently played around with a few other parts - swapping over the B17 from the Cook and I'm not sure I shared my new rims here. Last summer the old rims were so thrashed that the spokes were starting to pull out. These polished 7x rims from another wheelset were drilled out for the 12ga spokes and laced up. This thing is such a ripper, honestly, the Cook doesn't ride this nice (yet - hoping to fix that but will need extensive dialing in).

thumbnail_IMG_3265.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3272.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3271.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3268.jpg

Back