When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1995 (?) Schwinn Cruiser...Should I Consider It?

-
@schwinnlax

Apparently the Reproduction Phantoms are doing quite well...

I don't know when and where this particular model was made, but I like the fact that it has the duck billed fenders. I've only seem these on the Phantom Anniversary models.
I have a two-tone blue bike very similar to the one in your opening post. I bought it new in '96 (head badge has a '96 serial number), and it's been a great bike. I've put hundreds of miles on it, mostly on a paved urban creek trail with hills.

Mine also has the flared fenders, but I don't usually think of all of these '95/'96 Cruiser Deluxes as "Phantom Anniversary" bikes, but some confusion remains for me with regard to that. Some have a 1895-1995 centennial/anniversary sticker...

'95 anniv. sticker .jpg

... but don't have the flared fenders, have a different chain guard design, and were painted in green/black instead of green cream (like member phantom's bike above). I've also seen a number of red/black bikes which differ from the above blue bike in the same ways (no flared fenders, etc).

My bike, and all of the blue ones I've seen have this sticker (on the down tube, just in front of the bottom bracket) instead of the 1895-1995 sticker...

Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 2.51.14 PM.png

The blue ones, green/cream ones, and some of the burgundy ones seem to share features (flared fenders, and chain guard designs). Here's what I mean with regard to the chain guard differences...
Design #1 (blue bikes, green/cream like member phantom's:(
IMG_20171007_100859[1].jpg

Design #2 (green/black, and some burgundy:(
Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 8.18.53 PM.png

The models with chain guard design #2 also tend to have the bulkier seats with the extra padding on top.

There's a lot more info about these bikes in this thread: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/i...er-deluxe-100th-anniversary-bike.41791/page-4

I have a two-tone blue bike very similar to the one in your opening post. I bought it new in '96 (head badge has a '96 serial number), and it's been a great bike. I've put hundreds of miles on it, mostly on a paved urban creek trail with hills.

Mine also has the flared fenders, but I don't usually think of all of these '95/'96 Cruiser Deluxes as "Phantom Anniversary" bikes, but some confusion remains for me with regard to that. Some have a 1895-1995 centennial/anniversary sticker...

View attachment 1230433
... but don't have the flared fenders, have a different chain guard design, and were painted in green/black instead of green cream (like member phantom's bike above). I've also seen a number of red/black bikes which differ from the above blue bike in the same ways (no flared fenders, etc).

My bike, and all of the blue ones I've seen have this sticker (on the down tube, just in front of the bottom bracket) instead of the 1895-1995 sticker...

View attachment 1230435

The blue ones, green/cream ones, and some of the burgundy ones seem to share features (flared fenders, and chain guard designs). Here's what I mean with regard to the chain guard differences...
Design #1 (blue bikes, green/cream like member phantom's:(
View attachment 1230436

Design #2 (green/black, and some burgundy:(
View attachment 1230437

The models with chain guard design #2 also tend to have the bulkier seats with the extra padding on top.

There's a lot more info about these bikes in this thread: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/i...er-deluxe-100th-anniversary-bike.41791/page-4

What's the build date on your Cruiser badge? I can only find the Blue ones noted as 1997. :eek:

1595054009962.png

@JimR56 That decal appears to be on the bike I'm looking to purchase... :)

If it is, I hope the Cruiser Deluxe decal was placed on straighter than on yours ;)

@JimR56 That decal appears to be on the bike I'm looking to purchase... :)

If it is, I hope the Cruiser Deluxe decal was placed on straighter than on yours ;)

View attachment 1230481
Upon closer inspection, that sticker on the bike you're looking at is different (look at the colors) from the image I posted (which is not a photo of the sticker on my own bike, btw). I think the one I posted may be perfectly straight... the design just gives it a tilted appearance. Anyway, still a lot of little mysteries about these bikes.

Upon closer inspection, that sticker on the bike you're looking at is different (look at the colors) from the image I posted (which is not a photo of the sticker on my own bike, btw). I think the one I posted may be perfectly straight... the design just gives it a tilted appearance. Anyway, still a lot of little mysteries about these bikes.

You're right. Different colors AND design upon a closer look.

Still waiting to see what he'll sell it for... :(

You're right. Different colors AND design upon a closer look.

Still waiting to see what he'll sell it for... :(
I wish you could get a photo of the other side of the bike. I'm curious (especially about the guard), because I also noticed that the seat is of the bulkier type that I hadn't associated with the blue version of these bikes.

I've actually not seen a blue one with that much rust (although I'm sure they're out there), and I've seen quite a few photos online. If you're really tempted to try one, I would think you could find a cleaner one without a lot of trouble. The trouble, of course, is the price. Out here, sellers are asking in the $400-$600 range for clean examples. Probably too high, but everything is high around here. But they really can be good utility bikes, despite 1817cent's unfortunate experience. I took my rear rack off in 1996 to lighten things up a bit, and had a Nexus 7 rear hub installed, and it's been a great rider.

@JimR56 I actually only ride my road bikes, lol. I pretty much keep everything else as "eye candy". Pre and Post War, Raleigh, etc.

If I find something at a good price that I like, I'll buy it...detail it...and add it to the collection. After a while, I'll sell some and make room for more.
I have a Columbia RX-5 that I've ridden twice, but I bought it because I loved the look of it and the condition it was in (the photo is before I detailed it). I paid $200 back in 2017, and I still have it. :)

Back