When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1995 (?) Schwinn Cruiser...Should I Consider It?

-
@JimR56 Check this out. My money is on this being the bike..I've only seen the duck billed fenders on Phantoms....

fred

Last edited:
I just found these "as purchased" photos from many years back when I got the bike home.

It cleaned up beautifully, but it was no comparison to the original Schwinn's in quality. Cheaply made, sharp edges on the tank...but I only paid $100 for it and sold it a few weeks later for $350.

Yeah, they are actually nice looking bikes, and I assume they ride decent. Might look at the one for sale locally to get a better sense of condition.

@JimR56 Check this out. My money is on this being the bike..I've only seen the duck billed fenders on Phantoms....

fred
Yeah, I've read that article before. It's curious how he says he got it in 1995. Unless I find new evidence about the production of these, I think he's off by a year or two. He also says that 1995 was the "last year" of this model, which is definitely incorrect. Mine has a badge number dating to 1996, and 1997 was the only year that the catalog indicated the two-tone blue finish. He also makes the more general comment that the Cruiser Deluxe (not just the blue model) was discontinued in '95. Wrong. The guy (now deceased, I'm sorry to say) worked at a Schwinn dealership, so I would have expected more accurate information from him. Anyway, yes, that's the same model you're looking at. Same as my bike.

I also had one of those Columbia 5-Star reissues (also green). I bought it in the late 80's, and never rode it. They are indeed nice to look at. When you get too old to ride your road bikes, maybe you can start putting some miles on it. ;)

I do like that dark green/black combo. I see that yours lacked the flared fenders and had the simpler chainguard design (as opposed to the green/cream bike that member phantom posted). I also see that yours had the same seat, and the same front, rear (mounted on the left seat stay) and spoke reflectors that mine has. Like Turbo Bob, who wrote that article you linked, I took all of mine off. I never ride at night, so it was an easy decision.

Well, I'm picking the bike up today, later in the afternoon. My friend texted me late yesterday afternoon that his friend is fine with my first offer of $100, and even wants to throw in a girls Ross bike (to make room). I said thanks anway, but just the Schwinn and I'm a happy guy.

Just hoping it's in the condition I have set in my mind...which is a dangerous thing to do. :tonguewink:

Something about those duck bill fenders I just love...

When you get too old to ride your road bikes, maybe you can start putting some miles on it. ;)

I just turned 68 last month, but not stopping anytime soon from riding those. Matter of fact, I just bought this one about a month ago.

Back