When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1997 Marin

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

gben

Finally riding a big boys bike
Suspended
I bought this Marin new early in 1997. Nothing special but it is an old friend. We are having a record snow-season here on the Great Lakes so it is on a Cyclops trainer down in the man-cave getting some use......

28871075_1643228529101354_3653458125832323072_o.jpg

My dad owns the same bike but his has a front suspension fork but the frame looks identical to his. Marin makes solid bikes and I believe they are out of California.

By chance, is that a Gary Fisher front hub, from the photo I think I may have one identical to it.

I'm not sure where I got it or why I have it.

IMG_3586.JPG

Its wider than all the other hubs I have, and that's why I asked.Its been with me as a orfant for a long time, I don't remember ever buying it, a past roommate may have left it behind many years ago.

Last edited:
By chance, is that a Gary Fisher front hub, from the photo I think I may have one identical to it.
View attachment 770560.

Mark, The hub on this Marin says Marin "RockStar". I bought this bike new in the spring of 1997, but I believe it has a 1996 date under the bottom-bracket. Despite the California and "USA" decals on the bike, I would guess it was probably made in Taiwan just like a lot of Gary Fisher bikes were, so it might even be from the same factory as a Gary Fischer with just different paint and decals.

The original front fork for the bike was a Manitou suspension fork, but it was a crappy low-end fork with elastomer springs and it flexed so badly the knobs on the tires would rub sometimes when my weight was on the bars and I was turning! I ditched that fork and had a Marzzochi on it for a while which was really sweet, but it got stolen, so I got a used rigid fork out of a junk-pile in a local bicycle shop and fit it up. Other than the fork, tires and v-brakes and cranks the bike is as I bought it. The original White Industries cranks also fell apart early on under my 200-pounds so I have had different replacements on it over the years. I had a set of used CODA magic cranks on it once that I traded off someone for some motorcycle parts, but they broke under my weight when I landed a small jump with them horizontal....
29683361_1666462236777983_2187888118915716712_n.jpg

24796655_1666462206777986_8487341433418131286_n.jpg

29598168_1666462243444649_1065277453524250211_n.jpg

I bought this Marin new early in 1997. Nothing special but it is an old friend. We are having a record snow-season here on the Great Lakes so it is on a Cyclops trainer down in the man-cave getting some use......

View attachment 767365
Looks like a Bear Valley. I bought one new around 1999. Mine originally had an inexpensive shock in front. It also had an aggressive downward lean that aggravated me more as I aged. Short story, My son screwed up the front fork and it was replaced with spacers which raised the handlebars and made for a more comfortable ride. Its not worth a million but I keep it a vacation home for guest riders. My guests have no excuse , and I get them out on some easier trails

Back