When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

19teens ivers johnson arch bar nickel(crome?) plated frame bike

-
I don't think that bike is a special racer, and they would have been using chrome if that bike is as new as I think it is 40/41.. Of course I have been wrong before.

i found it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is some info on a special racer for the olympics that was totally nickel plated!!!!!! Im in total shock!!!!! This fits it perfectly. I cant believe it........

It is not a Special Racer. A Special Racer would have had a Chater Lea crankset.

RE: Iver construction

You a very lucky man to have such a bicycle - I would consult Bill Smith on the Wheelman's site - he is a true blue Iver expert. My guess is the odds are about as good as winning the lotto - in finding an olympic version....this said " it could be you!!! " and people win the lotto everyday! I better go out and get a ticket - then I can fill my new garage with vintage bikes when I win. Maybe the Euro Millions? In a way though, you have won......as you have a very very nice bike on your hands no matter the outcome. I am inclined to agree with Brian and fat tire trader - Chater Lea parts would go a long way to helping you in this direction.

Last edited:
No, my 1915 has seat tube numbers. Many before that did too. Somewhere around the turn of the century or shortly after, they changed from the bottom bracket to seat tube which is puzzling why your number is 1940s (according to Dave) but in an early placement. Double stamped 7 maybe? I seriously wonder if an Iver enthusiast had this at one time and put the parts together from the parts bin. The stem doesn't look Iver to me, but will have the name stamped on it if it is. Sans Serif stamping would be later as earlier had a serif font (similar to what you'll see on a New Departure Model A brake arm although not quite as whimsical)

I don't think that is entirely true...
"1915 Improvements
A racing bicycle with Chater Lea hanger.'
From the 1915 catalog.
Since that year, the special racer always had Chater Lea cranks.
All professional bicycles from that time had Chater Lea, BSA, or similar cranks.
They would not have put heavy Iver cranks on a special racer, especially one for the Olympics.
Like I said above, this bicycle was meant to have a chrome or nickel head tube and the rest painted over the dull plating. It is a neat bike, but not super special.

im confused.......redline keeps saying its super rare that its all nickel while everyone else is telling him hes stripping original paint off and that the nickel dip then paint over nickel was factory/common..........redline are you reading these guys posts or are you feeling bad about stripping the original paint and dont want to hear it? if you can get the nickel off i will buy it and save the original paint your chipping off in a baggie so i can thin it down and reshoot it......

Back