When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st post w 55 Hornet

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
After the oxalic bath there was just too much paint loss and got a nice cut from peeling chrome on stem. Going for full restoration
Parts I have already received : S2 rims - new typhoon white walls- NOS springer parts -good cond seat- restored stem- repop horn and rocket ray light -
Ordered restored AS pedals and cranks.

6C125474-C833-488E-B271-7983AB93190E.jpeg
E7F8C4C5-1A32-42C3-8FBF-34FDD9A3880C.jpeg

Well a full resto can be challenging. There's lots of resources here to help you along the way. Are you going for stock colors with the ram horns? Sherwinn Williams makes NOS colors for your hornet also. I believe the blue on the bike will look awesome when redone.

I'm amazed that Schwinn used that stem on that particular model. Wonder if it was replaced at some point.

Yep. After a closer look at the catalog image that must be original.

1955_14.jpg

I've got everything to copy that except the seat and a tank and I know it isn't a Deluxe, or a 1955 because I have the cloverleaf sprocket...

But I just got a repro of the rack from Bicyclebones :) Add the fenders I'm getting and if I could get that 'junk' Rocket Ray I saw in Classifieds and I'd almost be done.

You found yourself a really nice bike to work on, and I look forward to watching it's progress.

Well a full resto can be challenging. There's lots of resources here to help you along the way. Are you going for stock colors with the ram horns? Sherwinn Williams makes NOS colors for your hornet also. I believe the blue on the bike will look awesome when redone.

I’m going with the original colors. Not sure if I’m gonna use the rattle cans from vintage Schwinn or have a shop by me paint it
Rattle cans are gonna cost $200 for all
Shop would be 350 paint stripped painted and decals So as I see it I’m leaning towards the shop now.

I’m going with the original colors. Not sure if I’m gonna use the rattle cans from vintage Schwinn or have a shop by me paint it
Rattle cans are gonna cost $200 for all
Shop would be 350 paint stripped painted and decals So as I see it I’m leaning towards the shop now.

Challenging...and expensive. If you do a full on show quality resto on this bike it will cost more that the bike is worth finished. The chrome bill alone will be $1k or better. Sometimes money isn't an issue if its sentimental or you just want a restored bike and don't care. Good luck and look forward to your progress. V/r Shawn

Challenging...and expensive. If you do a full on show quality resto on this bike it will cost more that the bike is worth finished. The chrome bill alone will be $1k or better. Sometimes money isn't an issue if its sentimental or you just want a restored bike and don't care. Good luck and look forward to your progress. V/r Shawn

I estimate this restoration to be under $1500 may not be show quality but if it was I wouldn't ride it...

Back