When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"1x, is better than 2-by". Hype and fad or fact?

-
Funny, I can't tell the difference between qr or 15mm thru-axle front ends nor can I feel much difference between a 29er, 27 .5er or a 26er to be honest......

I can feel a definite difference between 26 and 29, and certain Strava segments show that my "seatpantsometer" is relatively accurate. I know my rock garden and root wall sections get way more float on one of my 29ers, but the 26 is all about those descents baby!! Axles though.............meh. If they aren't breaking, then I'm satisfied

Wow what a great response. Thanks i'll lend my opinion, once again it's just my opinion and what works for me.

Fair enough...but what if you don't "need" or "want" a dropper post? Are you not just adding "more weight" and "more heavy un-needed controls" that you just eliminated by getting rid of the 2nd shifter and ring but then you add it back again with an even heavier dropper post/lever and cable?

Nobody needs to have a dropper post. I resisted for years but finally decided to take the plunge and now I can't imagine going back. It's just nice when i'm on unfamiliar trails, cruise around a corner to see a big rock drop. Being able to instantly drop the seat and shift my weight back makes it much safer and fun, for me.

What if you ride long open gravel road sections but you spin out like a squirrel stuck in a cage cause you do not have another ring up front? Why struggle with only one ring up front that is never low enough or high enough, which is a constant complaint with 1-by systems and non-sponsored riders?

This I have no experience with. I only ride gravel or pavement when I have no other options. I would agree that chances are many people would spin out on those surfaces. Or they go with a much larger front chainring and adjust the gearing in the back to suit. 2x or 3x might be a better option though.

The "clutch" derailleurs with long cages were invented because the cassette spread was getting too wide to begin with when they forced one-by on us, which then makes us use a chain tensioner(more weight) or "narrow/wide" rings. "Boost" spacing was also forced upon us because of the one ring evolution up front and of course 29-er wheels. A wider dropout spacing in back has nothing to do with being able to run fat tires on a bike, (which is commonly claimed). The chain and seat stays if designed wider allows fat tires, not "boost spacing" people! One ring in front was forced onto us because of the 29-er wheel size which compromised frame design. A longer-travel Full Suspension Frame could not be made to work for 29-ers without getting rid of the front derailleur to make room for the bigger wheels, which happens to run into the BB area and that pesky front shifter darnit.

The only way a 1x system can work properly is with a clutch derailleur and a narrow wide up front, otherwise you'd be dropping chains constantly. The adjustable clutch keeps the chain nice and tight so you don't drop chains. It's a very reliable system and works well.

All of my 1x bikes are not boost and use a standard Shimano hyperglide cassette freehub which has been in production since the 80's. My main ride is a hard tail steel 29", 2.25 wide tires and it weighs 26lbs with a dropper and a 140mm DVO up front. All of my drivetrain parts would work just as well on older bikes (with the addition of a Goat Link in the back), the hyperglide hub shell is identical.

What if you are a seasoned rider and you never have to think about cross-chaining cause you know better? What if you want a wider range of gears? Yes, you can run a 1x10 with a large-spread cassette, but you need a derailleur adapter to be able to allow the old derailleur to work, which also weakens the frame/derailleur connection but it still does not give you a wide enough range....the #1 complaint besides cassette costs. And now the cross-chaining gets worse because of the one ring up front and the wide-range cassette in back..(see article link)

Agreed, once you learn riding a triple it becomes second nature. Saying that, what happens when you go around a blind corner at speed to see a granny gear climb. With a triple you have to click the front derailleur down (sometimes twice), then also click the rear all the way. Compare that with a 1x and it's just easier, and perhaps quicker for some.

And finally, with all due respect, if a rider looks at me with a "baffled look" when talking about cross-chaining or what gear to use, then I probably won't be riding with them to begin with.:sunglasses: Funny, I can't tell the difference between qr or 15mm thru-axle front ends nor can I feel much difference between a 29er, 27 .5er or a 26er to be honest......if you spend $6000 on a new carbon 29er FS bike, then you are forced to hit the easy button and support "one-by" because that is all you can have. It may be good for some riders, but it's not for me or the terrain I ride..skpc[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with you! When I mentioned baffled look i'm talking spouses and people that are new to the sport.

View attachment 990799[/QUOTE]
Pinion gearboxes are really cool, but until they sync the gearing

Once again I totally agree with you. Who wants a bike you can't shift under power. Not me!

One additional comment. I think the focus on 1x came about because of the popularity of full suspension. Being able to eliminate the front derailleur has freed up that area to suit different designs.

I think the fd will always be with us, it works and works well.

Agreed to both good comments. Everything high end is super cool and rides deluxely these days, both road and mtb. It's all good..

One additional comment. I think the focus on 1x came about because of the popularity of full suspension. Being able to eliminate the front derailleur has freed up that area to suit different designs.

And tire width too. That doesn’t leave much for a front derailleur and more than one chainring. Especially if you want short chain stays so your bike doesn’t turn like a truck.
1557407843702.jpeg

Mtb candy^^^ Personal wish: 1 or 2 rings optional....7-11 spd cassettes(take your pick) with std hub carrier (any gear/ring combo).....wide stays......any wheel/tire size, standard drops. My perfect world dream. Bicycles for the most part go fundamentally unchanged....A frame & fork, two wheels chain driven by pedals and a crankset.
Long live the almighty bicycle...

Back