When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 New OLD barn finds

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

jd56

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
OK, most of the others on the other side of the schwinn forum, know I like to boast about my finds and sometimes I do so in numerous areas throughout the Cabe forums.
So here is the 2nd post for one and the 1st for the other, of the 2 barn finds I picked up last night.

First let me say that I queried the embarrassing question as to what this Schwinn was, a couple of weeks ago. Scott threatened to bust me back to "riding training wheels" status for asking and not knowing what I was looking at. But, as well as it was received, I got the answer I needed. I again have done what we all do here on the forum and that was ask, regardless of the expected ridicule...not really ridicule but, it makes for good reading.

So here we go.
I was asked to make an offer on this Black Phantom by a member here on the Cabe. I know, "what did he just say....a Phantom?....Really, JD you should know what one of the most popular Schwinn Ballooners looks like!!".

The seller was selling his Grandfather's collection for him. He's 86 and was the original owner of these 2 Schwinns.
The seller originally had mentioned he was offered $900 for the Phantom but, wasn't interested in selling back a year ago.
But, when I asked him what kind of Schwinn it was over the phone, before he sent me pics, he said he didn't know.
But, now that he needs to sell them he was frustrated he couldn't find the first offerer's phone number. I knew at this point that my offer wasn't going to be well received.
I took heed to the value based on my Cabe inquiry and offered $175 for the bike. Pointing out that the tank and rear rack was missing.

When I arrived, he was entertaining friends and enjoying a few beers. My scheduled intrusion was not a surprise to all that was there. In fact they followed me to the garage where the bikes hung.
Needless to say, as one that likes to give the impression that I know what I'm doing, I was bit annoyed by the audience, at first. He pulled down the masive fendered beast and I stood back in awe. I pretty much knew right then I had to make friends with all as a group. After walking around it a bit and checking for the serial number, noting outloud what was missing and in poor shape, I told the seller I would be right back. After returning from the truck with my newly aquired Schwinn date book I won of ebay, I started thumbing through the pages. I figured it would be an easy find but, worried about the duplicate serials that were used by Schwinn. So I determined it was an 10/28/49 manufactured dated schwinn. Could be wrong but, that's what I summized. Serial is F301869...not sure what the perpendicular 4 digit number means so some help please...1597.
The crowd all hmmm'd and haaaa'd when it was announced.
Then the seller pointed out the Wasp still hanging from the rafters. Pretty rusty condition but, worth the looksie. Bundleing was my therory...just like frank, right?

This was a 53 Schwinn Wasp. You barely read the "Wasp" legend on the all rusted chainguard. Serial N6484? (can't read the last number. This was on the rear dropout unlike the Phantom's location on the BB.
Again the crowd hmmm'd and haaa'd....these guys weren't helping my forthcoming lowball offer. Nor the high fives to the seller, for having a gold mine in his possession, for the second time.

Keep in mind, I was there because a Cabe member wanted me to make an offer.

2 beers later and a lot of talk about his Chalmis tractors (which I know nothing about), his dogs, dad and grandfather, the other 2 hanging bikes that I wasn't interested in (a green huffy swinger and a 50's girls Western Flyer), we all seemed to be feeling good about the visit. My 2 Coors light beers, he fed me, helped my anxiety of trying to get these 2 bikes for an affordable price. Haggling 101....make friends and use the Dale Carnigie addiage "Win friends and Influence people" by talking on their terms or something they know well....was at work.

So we settled for more than the initial planned lowball figure on just the sought after Phantom, and I offered extra for the missing tank if he could find it. He said he recalls seeing a Schwinn tank hanging in his Grandfather's Tenn barn.....hope so. I also asked if he could ask his grandfather about the fork key.
Again this was now a 2 bike aquisition.

Great vist, and I made a few friends during the quest. They invited me to the Isle Of White Va. Fair being held today so I could see the other tractors that would be among the 2 he was going to show. Not making the show but, I will never forget the visit. His number and email are locked in and I hope to hear good news in a few weeks concerning the needed tank.

So, I have been trying to deplete my ever growing middleweight collection and I pick up 2 Ballooners....what is wrong with me....I do know this, "Hi, my name is JD and I'm an antique bike addict"....lol

attachment.php

attachment.php

The pair...what a sight these are...huh?

attachment.php

Last edited:
Congratulations on two great finds JD. That Phantom looks like it would clean up really well!!!!! Hope you get the tank & great story on your acquisition. - Gary

Back