When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 speed bendix shifter cable on 1059 speedster

-

blue6218

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi there, I just acquired a 1959 schwinn speedster with a 2 speed manual shifter. The only problem is the shift lever is on the top bar and I want to move it to the handlebar. Do I need a special bendix cable or can I use any cable? Thanks for any help you can give me....John

Your best bet is to buy the proper cable. For that application you will probably need the longest they made, which is 60 inch. There are usually some available on ebay, but don't expect to find one real cheap.

December 2010 misc 169.jpg
Hi there, I just acquired a 1959 schwinn speedster with a 2 speed manual shifter. The only problem is the shift lever is on the top bar and I want to move it to the handlebar. Do I need a special bendix cable or can I use any cable? Thanks for any help you can give me....John
I have a complete same vintage Monark Rocket with that set up. The Bendix assy. is the nicest part of the bike and functions well. $100 + shipping. Brad

Back